peaches9

5+ Year Member
May 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
For the longest time, I didn't think I would do medicine.

3.2 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA. I worked in community health after college for a year, and did an MPH (GPA 3.5). I've been doing public health research at a major public health institution for over a year now post-MPH, and have now decided I want to be a doctor (more research opportunities, practice medicine, I have hopes of doing family medicine, with a focus on undeserved communities/minorities and preventive medicine).

URM (Asian minority). Haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I have confidence I'll do well.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Chances at MD schools? Zero
At DO schools? OK. Skip CCOM and the coastal Touros.

For the longest time, I didn't think I would do medicine.

3.2 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA. I worked in community health after college for a year, and did an MPH (GPA 3.5). I've been doing public health research at a major public health institution for over a year now post-MPH, and have now decided I want to be a doctor (more research opportunities, practice medicine, I have hopes of doing family medicine, with a focus on undeserved communities/minorities and preventive medicine).

URM (Asian minority). Haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I have confidence I'll do well.

OP
P

peaches9

5+ Year Member
May 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
MPH grades will not mitigate the undergraduate gpa.
Which community do you represent?
Hmong. I'm not thinking it'll make much difference, and am hoping that getting a high MCAT score, along with my work experience and motivation to now enter med school would make up for my grades.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Hmong. I'm not thinking it'll make much difference, and am hoping that getting a high MCAT score, along with my work experience and motivation to now enter med school would make up for my grades.
There are two CA schools that consider Hmong UiM (the last time I checked). There may be more in other states.
The MPH grades will not have much effect at MD schools.
I recommend a 510 on the MCAT.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I have confidence I'll do well.
So does everyone who goes to take it, you will need a 510+ to be able to get a decent shot at the few (2) schools that will consider you URM. Not (see: most) schools will consider you URM. Get a 510 MCAT score though and you would have a good shot at a lot of DO programs.