DO What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wisco10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I was hoping you may be able to provide me some advice. I took my MCAT at the end of June and scored a 495. I have a retake scheduled for the 9th of September. With my statistics below, do you believe I stand any chance at D.O. schools at this point in the cycle and is the retake even worth it? Thank you for all the help.

Here are my statistics.
GPA 3.8
sGPA 3.6
MCAT 495

Experience:
Immigrated to the U.S. at age 9 as a war refugee.
Bachelors Degree in Political Science
1.5 years ER Scribe
8 volunteering experiences
1 year teaching in urban schools.
3 D.O letters

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone I was hoping you may be able to provide me some advice. I took my MCAT at the end of June and scored a 495. I have a retake scheduled for the 9th of September. With my statistics below, do you believe I stand any chance at D.O. schools at this point in the cycle and is the retake even worth it? Thank you for all the help.

Here are my statistics.
GPA 3.8
sGPA 3.6
MCAT 495

Experience:
Immigrated to the U.S. at age 9 as a war refugee.
Bachelors Degree in Political Science
1.5 years ER Scribe
8 volunteering experiences
1 year teaching in urban schools.
3 D.O letters

I attend an allopathic school myself, so I am not the best person to comment on this. Moreover, I took the MCAT when the old 2 digit scoring system was still in use (max score was 40). Nevertheless, I think your MCAT score correlated to an older score of around 23-24. MY understanding is that for most DO schools, you need an MCAT of at least 27, or 502, to be considered a candidate. I think the rest of your application puts you well into the realm of consideration, but the MCAT score is definitely your weak point. I would remediate that ASAP when you feel adequately prepared to get at least a 508.

All you need is a 500, and you'll be fine for DO. Don't take the exam again until your confident you'll achieve it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to retake the MCAT but do not retake until your practice scores are consistently over 500. Post your new score here when available in October.

Agree with the above. The MCAT is the weakest part of your application, and it will no doubt hold you back. The retake is necessary. If you can get at least a 500, you'll be competitive.

Agree with the above. The MCAT is the weakest part of your application, and it will no doubt hold you back. The retake is necessary. If you can get at least a 500, you'll be competitive.
Do you believe that submission of score in October is too late?

No, October is not late for DO schools. You need to have your schools list prepared in advance and I suggest these schools if your MCAT is 500 or higher:

ACOM

ARCOM

BCOM

WCU-COM

LMU-DCOM

UP-KYCOM

WVSOM

UIWSOM

VCOM (all 3 schools)

NYIT-Arkansas

RVU-Utah

Idaho (new school)

LUCOM

Reactions: 1 user
No, October is not late for DO schools. You need to have your schools list prepared in advance and I suggest these schools if your MCAT is 500 or higher:

ACOM

ARCOM

BCOM

WCU-COM

LMU-DCOM

UP-KYCOM

WVSOM

UIWSOM

VCOM (all 3 schools)

NYIT-Arkansas

RVU-Utah

Idaho (new school)

LUCOM
I see you listed Idaho but it is not in ACC

ACOM

ARCOM

BCOM

WCU-COM

LMU-DCOM

UP-KYCOM

WVSOM

UIWSOM

VCOM (all 3 schools)

NYIT-Arkansas

RVU-Utah

Idaho (new school)

LUCOM
Thank you for the list! In regards to Idaho, any information on how to apply?

They received preliminary accreditation so they should be accepting applications sometime in the next few months. Check back on their website every month.