kawi609

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a 3.77 and 508(29) and I am a highschool dropout got my GED failed out of my first semester 26hrs my father passed that year from cancer. Then went back to school made nothing but A's and B's. I have around two years of cancer biology research.
non-traditional
2000+hrs volunteering, shelter, food banks
1 year emt was a ER tech
Texas resident
Just want some opinions of what schools I should apply to? and will my story make up for the low Mcat?

vernhart

5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I have a 3.77 and 508(29) and I am a highschool dropout got my GED failed out of my first semester 26hrs my father passed that year from cancer. Then went back to school made nothing but A's and B's. I have around two years of cancer biology research.
non-traditional
2000+hrs volunteering, shelter, food banks
1 year emt was a ER tech
Texas resident
Just want some opinions of what schools I should apply to? and will my story make up for the low Mcat?
Your MCAT isn't that low. Given you didn't bomb one section and rock the rest, you should be competitive (especially for state schools). Apply to all state schools, buy MSAR ($30 ish) and apply to private schools where you are within their 10-90 percentile range (the majority of which you should be as close to the mean as possible; ie don't spend a bunch of money applying to 20 as the 10th percentile hoping you will get into some reach school, bc you very well may not). Best of luck.

EDIT: also, you are too late imo to apply for MD schools this cycle.

About the Ads
OP
kawi609

kawi609

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I will be applying next cycle currently doing a masters and working in a research lab full time.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
You are competitive for some of your Texas MD schools. Apply to all of them and you should receive several interviews.

Govols22

2+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
A 508 is not a 29. A 508 is a 30. And a 508 is not a low MCAT score. The Texas schools are your best bet by a mile.

Reactions: Goro
About the Ads