scx123

2+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2017
I just want to get an opinion on how many programs to apply to and what are my potential reach programs. I am an applicant from a southern MD school with step 1 of 215-220 and step 2 of 250-255. No red flags.

I am applying to about 50-60 anesthesiology programs with about 20 medicine prelim programs. IS this too much? Do I have a chance at reach programs like UCLA, UCSD, Baylor, UTSW, MGH, BID, Brigham and Womens? Thanks for any opinion

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
I just want to get an opinion on how many programs to apply to and what are my potential reach programs. I am an applicant from a southern MD school with step 1 of 215-220 and step 2 of 250-255. No red flags.

I am applying to about 50-60 anesthesiology programs with about 20 medicine prelim programs. IS this too much? Do I have a chance at reach programs like UCLA, UCSD, Baylor, UTSW, MGH, BID, Brigham and Womens? Thanks for any opinion
That Step 1 score (below average) will probably get you screened out of the highest tier, but your big improvement in Step 2 will go a long way for 2nd tier (maybe Baylor, UTSW, UCLA on your list). It can't hurt to add some of those reach high tier programs (except $$) but definitely make sure the bulk of your applications go to more realistic options and sprinkle in some selected community-based programs just to be safe.

More reasonable "reach" programs for you in the South would probably be (in no particular order, just as they come to my head and it's a personal opinion): Emory, U Florida, UAB, UTMB, Nebraska, Wake, UNC.

To be honest 50-60 programs seems like a whole lot for a US MD graduate (and expensive) unless you've included a ton of reaches. Maybe try to pare it down a little?

OP
S

scx123

2+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2017
Thank you for your reply!

I would be very happy at a mid tier California program (UCI, cedars, USC, etc.). I did an away rotation at one of them along with having family connections in California. I would also be happy at any Texas city programs too (san antonio, uth, baylor, utsw).. I'll just cut down the NE programs, especially the super reach ones.

Reactions: AdmiralChz
About the Ads
Jun 4, 2017
Thank you for your reply!

I would be very happy at a mid tier California program (UCI, cedars, USC, etc.). I did an away rotation at one of them along with having family connections in California. I would also be happy at any Texas city programs too (san antonio, uth, baylor, utsw).. I'll just cut down the NE programs, especially the super reach ones.

50-60 is too many.
Stick to around 30. Interview at 7-10. If you interview well, you'll match top 3.
I don't know your application at all, but keep in mind, step score is only ONE component of your application.
Good luck.

Reactions: vector2

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Don't waste money on the harvards. I think Baylor, UTSW and UCLA are also stretches.

Reactions: AdmiralChz
OP
S

scx123

2+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2017
So I got waitlisted at one of the reach programs that I mentioned in the OP. Is this an early enough time in the year where I would have a good chance of getting off the waitlist? @AdmiralChz

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
So I got waitlisted at one of the reach programs that I mentioned in the OP. Is this an early enough time in the year where I would have a good chance of getting off the waitlist? @AdmiralChz
Way too early, many programs haven’t even finished filling their interview slots.

Our program used the wait list as a way to fill slots when people cancel their interviews. Interview cancellations are scattered to start, but pick up after Christmas significantly. I wouldn’t expect much until then to be honest.

ToKingdomCome

5+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2012
Status
Way too early, many programs haven’t even finished filling their interview slots.

Our program used the wait list as a way to fill slots when people cancel their interviews. Interview cancellations are scattered to start, but pick up after Christmas significantly. I wouldn’t expect much until then to be honest.
What percentage of interviews would you say have been released? You’d definitely say it’s still early?

OP
S

scx123

2+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2017
I was lucky enough to get interviews from Baylor and UTSW. Can I get yall's opinion on which is a better program in Texas? I keep going back and forth between these two.

Mehd School

7+ Year Member
May 2, 2012
West Coast
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think you'll do pretty well, especially if you happen to go to a well regarded school. I'm a DO that got 230/250 and interviewed at a few high-tier places. At one of these places (my #1) there was a guy that told me he scored a 203 on step 1.

I applied to ~60 programs and got ~20 interviews.

That MD will take you far.

surfguy84

7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I think you'll do pretty well, especially if you happen to go to a well regarded school. I'm a DO that got 230/250 and interviewed at a few high-tier places. At one of these places (my #1) there was a guy that told me he scored a 203 on step 1.

I applied to ~60 programs and got ~20 interviews.

That MD will take you far.
Any luck or experience with West coast programs? DO here too with a 240s step 1 and wondering about my options to stay on the best coast..Thanks!

About the Ads