What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmeeseekslookatme

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say finding a masters in a science would look better than a masters public health, especially since your gpa is kind of on the lower end specifically the science. Maybe you can look towards taking upper level post back science courses to show to med schools you can handle the rigor of a science based curriculum. Your ECs look pretty good I would say the Biggest concern would be your gpa. Your mcat is also something to consider working on since a 124 in a section is kind of dragging you down and will not help your chances so consider retaking. Your mcat is okay for DO I think, but also on the lower end for MD I think the AAMC published the average to be 508 for 2016 and 510 for 2017. There is someone on here who has a good guide for people looking to increase their gpa or enroll in programs after graduating I wish I knew where to find it it might be helpful for you, if you search in the threads similar to yours I am sure you will find this guide.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say finding a masters in a science would look better than a masters public health, especially since your gpa is kind of on the lower end specifically the science. Maybe you can look towards taking upper level post back science courses to show to med schools you can handle the rigor of a science based curriculum. Your ECs look pretty good I would say the Biggest concern would be your gpa. Your mcat is also something to consider working on since a 124 in a section is kind of dragging you down and will not help your chances so consider retaking. Your mcat is okay for DO I think, but also on the lower end for MD I think the AAMC published the average to be 508 for 2016 and 510 for 2017. There is someone on here who has a good guide for people looking to increase their gpa or enroll in programs after graduating I wish I knew where to find it it might be helpful for you, if you search in the threads similar to yours I am sure you will find this guide.

Thanks for all of your advice! I'll definitely consider all of this when making my decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are fine to apply this cycle. I suggest these schools where you could receive interviews with your stats:
Wayne State
Michigan State
Central Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Toledo
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis