What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nowayjabroni2481

Reaction score
cGPA:3.51
sGPA:3.55
MCAT: 498(2nd retake)

EC:

Fraternity President/VP/ Fundraising Chair 300+ hours
-Got my fraternity recognized by my school

Volunteer Experience at clinic: 100+ hours
Shadowing: 40+ ( neurologist, physical medicine and rehab, family medicine)
Basketball coach: 50+ hours
Tutor: 100+ hours
Research: 750+ hours and publication in the works
Involved in a couple of organization all 4 years of undergrad
Worked for UPS

I know I have no chance for any MD schools , but do i have any hope with DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

No i am not a URM or Didadvantaged
This is my undergrad gpa
I have a 3.9 upper division ( i don’t know if this even helps )
I have a uptrend gpa
And also this is my first time applying
I’m also a California resident

Members don't see this ad :)
Two primary concerns are: 1) low MCAT score after two attempts, and 2) subpar ECs. Adding CA residency complicates things.

Few questions for you...
  1. What was your first MCAT score?
  2. Are you hard pressed to apply this cycle or would you be willing to spend a year to improve ECs (spend considerably more hours volunteering in clinic and non-clinic activities) and potentially take MCAT again?
  3. Your research, while great, is negligible seeing as how your GPA and MCAT scores are, you are not a MD/PHD candidate.

Two primary concerns are: 1) low MCAT score after two attempts, and 2) subpar ECs. Adding CA residency complicates things.

Few questions for you...
  1. What was your first MCAT score?
  2. Are you hard pressed to apply this cycle or would you be willing to spend a year to improve ECs (spend considerably more hours volunteering in clinic and non-clinic activities) and potentially take MCAT again?
  3. Your research, while great, is negligible seeing as how your GPA and MCAT scores are, you are not a MD/PHD candidate.
My first attempt was a 492.

I graduated in 2017, so i hoping id have a better MCAT at this point, but it didnt turn out as planned. Im not totally opposed to not applying but the fact of waiting another year and studying and not improving is what scares me

You could receive interviews at these DO schools with your stats:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range. Apply this month and submit all your secondaries by late August.