What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DimitriH

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Major: health science (completed)
Minor: chemistry
Reapplicant: no
GPA: 3.91
sGPA: 3.88
DAT: 24AA/27PAT (21Bio/28GC/23OC/23RC/23QR)
Shadowing: ~80 hours (general, OMFS and ortho)
Volunteering: ~100 hours community volunteering
Work experience: more than a metric ton
Residence: Oregon
AADSAS completed: 7/24
GPA verified: 8/6

Applied to: OHSU, Loma Linda, uUtah, uPenn, uPitt, and UC Denver.
Also applying for Air Force and Navy HPSP, but I'm worried that a hiatal hernia which I am about to have treated might hurt my eligibility.

What are my chances? I appreciate the insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bump. Took my DAT yesterday and was happy with the results. Would it be too late in the game to consider applying to UNC?

I think it's too late for UNC as they accept very few OOS applicants, and even though you scored well, your results will only be official in ~3 weeks (maybe sooner). If you have the money, give it a shot, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. The other schools look good, but I'd add some more like maybe UCSF and UCLA (instate tuition after a year), and maybe a few other private ones that you'd attend because it is getting pretty late in the cycle (schools will only consider you complete by the end of the month probably, and then have to review your application in its entirety before you can receive an invite).

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's too late for UNC as they accept very few OOS applicants, and even though you scored well, your results will only be official in ~3 weeks (maybe sooner). If you have the money, give it a shot, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. The other schools look good, but I'd add some more like maybe UCSF and UCLA (instate tuition after a year), and maybe a few other private ones that you'd attend because it is getting pretty late in the cycle (schools will only consider you complete by the end of the month probably, and then have to review your application in its entirety before you can receive an invite).

Hope this helps!

Thank you! I guess I won't apply to UNC. I was unaware that UCSF and UCLA did in-state tuition after a year. Is there a resource that shows which schools offer this? I've only heard of OSU offering in-state after a year, until now.

Thank you! I guess I won't apply to UNC. I was unaware that UCSF and UCLA did in-state tuition after a year. Is there a resource that shows which schools offer this? I've only heard of OSU offering in-state after a year, until now.
There are a few: Schools and changing residency: the list

I don't know of any hard resource but that list is the best one we have on the forum. Other than that, one would have to look into every public school to see if things changed, but I think that list is pretty accurate.