What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Victoria00

Reaction score
i have a science gpa of 3.7 and a non science gpa of 3.6. Cumulative gpa 3.68
I have few months of research experience, 75 hours shadowing, 1 year of clinical
Experience, 6 months of EMT volunteering, 1 month of hospital volunteering.
My advisor said that I do not have enough research experience and have a borderline gpa, therefore suggested me to get an accelerated master’s degree in a year at a grad school so improve my gpa and get more research experience. I have not taken my MCAT yet. I just wanted to know what my chances of getting into med school are if I decide to not follow what my advisor suggested?

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't mind going to an Osteopathic school, you could make it into one with an MCAT of 500+. If you wanna go to an MD school, you would have to score in the 510+. I don't think you need to go to grad school because it wouldn't help your Undergraduate GPA at all. A DIY post bacc would be better at helping you increase your gpa. You don't necessarily need more research for all MD schools, but more would increase your chances. You could also use some more shadowing hours (primary care and others), and non-clinical/community volunteering as well (at least 50 to 100 hrs). Having no non-clinical volunteering experience is not good when applying since Medicine itself is a field dedicated to the service of others/the least fortunate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

We really can’t tell you until you have a MCAT score but a grad degree won’t do a thing for your undergrad GPA. And your ECs are really weak so you need to work on them. You don’t say when you plan to apply but you do have some holes to fix in your application.

Reactions: 1 users