what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frentist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before you read my stats, I am finishing up prereq courses (microbiology, neurobiology) this spring semester and I am deciding whether or not I should take 1 more science class to boost my science gpa. This classes are part of a informal post bacc i have been doing since august 2017, I will be taking the DAT In July. Thank you for your responses. Before I did this informal post bacc, my overall gpa was a 2.9 and my science gpa was a 2.19. Thank you for your responses.

Overall GPA: 3.1
Science GPA: 2.86
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.76
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
State of Residence:
Illinois

Undergrad Attended: University of Illinois Urbana Champaign

Major: Interdisciplinary Health Sciences
Minority? Yes
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes
Shadowing Experience: 150 hours and counting, general dentistry
Volunteering Experience: 500 hours and counting, all health or dental oriented
Employment: full time, non dentistry related
Research: none
Other Extracurriculars: social fraternity
School list: UIC, SIU, Midwestern, Meharry, Tennessee, Kentucky, louisville, Missouri, western (pomona), USC

Members don't see this ad.

It seems you have been able to boost your sgpa quite a bit, which means you probably have a huge upward trend which works in your favor. Are you African American? If so I would add Howard as well! If you can score well on the DAT (22+) I think you have a chance at Meharry and Howard. Research some other private schools as well that are with in your reach. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
It seems you have been able to boost your sgpa quite a bit, which means you probably have a huge upward trend which works in your favor. Are you African American? If so I would add Howard as well! If you can score well on the DAT (22+) I think you have a chance at Meharry and Howard. Research some other private schools as well that are with in your reach. Best of luck!

thank you for the response. With this informal post bacc, I was able to complete all of my upper level chem and bio classes. I am latino, so for the purpose of the applications I am considered a minority and I do plan on putting in the money and time into my dat study material (DAT DESTROYER, DAT bootcamp and buying sample exams from the ADA directly)

Members don't see this ad :)
Before you read my stats, I am finishing up prereq courses (microbiology, neurobiology) this spring semester and I am deciding whether or not I should take 1 more science class to boost my science gpa. This classes are part of a informal post bacc i have been doing since august 2017, I will be taking the DAT In July. Thank you for your responses. Before I did this informal post bacc, my overall gpa was a 2.9 and my science gpa was a 2.19. Thank you for your responses.

Overall GPA: 3.1
Science GPA: 2.86
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.76
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
State of Residence:
Illinois

Undergrad Attended: University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
Major: Interdisciplinary Health Sciences
Minority?
Yes
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes
Shadowing Experience: 150 hours and counting, general dentistry
Volunteering Experience: 500 hours and counting, all health or dental oriented
Employment: full time, non dentistry related
Research: none
Other Extracurriculars: social fraternity
School list: UIC, SIU, Midwestern, Meharry, Tennessee, Kentucky, louisville, Missouri, western (pomona), USC
Great job on boosting the sGPA so much! Your shadowing and volunteer hours are wonderful. Schools also appreciate those of us who have worked full-time while taking additional classes, so don't discount that. It really is important.

Do you have any volunteering outside healthcare at all? I think it would be a helpful talking point to have at least a little to show you have interests outside dentistry. Your fraternity activities may be good for that.

I would add a few more private schools as well, like @MavsFanForLife said. I had success at Indiana and interviewed at Colorado as a low-GPA, out-of-state applicant, so maybe look into those also. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
Great job on boosting the sGPA so much! Your shadowing and volunteer hours are wonderful. Schools also appreciate those of us who have worked full-time while taking additional classes, so don't discount that. It really is important.

Do you have any volunteering outside healthcare at all? I think it would be a helpful talking point to have at least a little to show you have interests outside dentistry. Your fraternity activities may be good for that.

I would add a few more private schools as well, like @MavsFanForLife said. I had success at Indiana and interviewed at Colorado as a low-GPA, out-of-state applicant, so maybe look into those also. Good luck to you!

Yes I did have some volunteering outside of healthcare. thank you so much, I will definitely look into more private schools