MD & DO What are my chances?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD or DO based on my info?

• MD

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • DO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

brhodes25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any help would be awesome!
Texas Resident looking at all Texas schools. Preferably MD
-Undergrad GPA: 3.85
-Undergrad GPAs: 3.85
-Masters (MBA) GPA: 4.0
-President of Sigma Pi Sigma (Pre-professional society)
-Vice President of Alpha Chi National Honor Society
-Two poster presentations at Texas Academy of Science and Departmental Research Award from my undergrad
-Over 4,000 hours of work as a laboratory tech and then a grossing assistant.
-Other things that are relevant, but probably won't play a huge part in getting accepted or not

I am taking the MCAT in April and hoping for a minimum of 505, but striving for something above 510.
Let me know what y'all think!

Members don't see this ad.

Very weak EC’s. Need clinical and underserved volunteering.

Very weak EC’s. Need clinical and underserved volunteering.

Well I honestly figured since GPA and MCAT were really the most determining factors, I didn’t mention my EC’s. I also was volunteered as part of a service fraternity and organized multiple meals for people in poverty in the city where I went to undergrad.

I should have been more direct. Based on my GPA, MCAT, and experience what are my chances. I would say I have pretty competitive EC’s as well, but I didn’t feel like typing my whole application on this forum lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any physician shadowing or clinical volunteering with patient contact hours ?

My current job for the past two years has had a lot of direct interaction with patients and multiple specialties of physicians through frozen sections, punch biopsies, fine needle aspirations, core needle biopsies, etc.

I mean you GPA is more than good enough for MD or DO, MCAT is irrelevant in this discussion because you don't have it. Research experience sounds good, butttttttt and a big but... where is your volunteering and clinical experience/exposure. Having volunteer experience in both a health related and unrelated field is pretty important. If I had to put a number on it I would say 100 hours unrelated 100 related, but at a minimum 50 each. You should also aim at shadowing doctors for about 80 hours a minimum of 40 hours. This can also help getting a letter of rec from an MD or DO which is pretty important, and lastly I would look into getting a scribing or patient care assistant job to get some clinical exposure. I think anything above 300 hours looks really good. Obviously everything I have mentioned is based on my own opinion, but there is basically a consensus among pre-meds that volunteer work, shadowing, and clinical exposure is a must, the amount of time in each is what is up for discussion.

My current job for the past two years has had a lot of direct interaction with patients and multiple specialties of physicians through frozen sections, punch biopsies, fine needle aspirations, core needle biopsies, etc.

You should be competitive for your Texas schools as long as your MCAT is at least 507.

Well I honestly figured since GPA and MCAT were really the most determining factors, I didn’t mention my EC’s. I also was volunteered as part of a service fraternity and organized multiple meals for people in poverty in the city where I went to undergrad.

I should have been more direct. Based on my GPA, MCAT, and experience what are my chances. I would say I have pretty competitive EC’s as well, but I didn’t feel like typing my whole application on this forum lol.

They may be, but your EC’s can keep you out of medical school just as much as a bad MCAT can. Many students with 4.0 520+ don’t get in every year