What are my chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlim678

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
First, thanks for taking your time to read this thread.
I recently took my first DAT and planning on applying this upcoming cycle.
Here is my current standing:
GPA:3.4
sGPA:3.3

DAT 23AA 21TS 23PAT 20BIO 20GC 27OC 18RC 30QR

Shadowing @General dentist: ~400hr
Dental Assistant @General dentist: ~800hr

Research:
1.Undergraduate Senior year (maybe published before applying, no clue)
2. Full time researcher at DOD lab currently (having a gap year, or two years before matriculating)

Volunteer:
Overseas under-developed countries 9 day trip
~50 hrs of total in general.

Leadership:
President of a club for 1 semester during senior year and member for rest of the years.

Lists of schools that I currently have:
Loma linda
Western university
LECOM
NOVA
MIDwestern University
Boston
Tufts
Maryland
VCU
New England
Roseman
NYU

Members don't see this ad.

Holy moley on that DAT; great job!

Your list is very private-school-heavy, so I would cut the more expensive private schools and sub in public school programs that let you claim residency after the first year. Not sure which ones those are, but a little research on that is always good. UNLV comes to mind, but double check.

Also, try and push your volunteer hours over 100 if you can.

I think you've got a great shot at this. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Holy moley on that DAT; great job!

Your list is very private-school-heavy, so I would cut the more expensive private schools and sub in public school programs that let you claim residency after the first year. Not sure which ones those are, but a little research on that is always good. UNLV comes to mind, but double check.

Also, try and push your volunteer hours over 100 if you can.

I think you've got a great shot at this. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply!
BTW, public school programs let us claim residency after the first year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply!
BTW, public school programs let us claim residency after the first year?
Definitely not all of them. I think there are actually more that don't than those that do. For instance, I know Colorado, Kentucky, and Indiana do not allow it.

I hear people talk about how you come in as OOS for schools like UConn, Maryland, and UNLV and then have the opportunity to claim IS after the first year. I don't believe it is guaranteed and it may be a difficult process depending on school, but I would advise you to research more on it. You could save a lot of money that way vs. being in a lot more debt with the more expensive private schools.

Take a look at this thread. It's almost five years old, but it can be a good starting point for your search. Make sure to confirm with admissions at those respective schools, though.

Also, if I were you, I'd keep your final school list to between 10-15 schools like you have. I was just concerned because you had so many private schools; just know there are options! :)

Yes I agree with the above post. You will most definitely get some interviews from the list you provided, I had 3.2 sgpa and 21 DAT and applied to pretty much every school on your list and had 7 interviews. With your DAT, I would add some reach schools that are cheaper and see what happens! Great job on your DAT, now you can reap the benefits!

Hi guys. You guys did good job on DAT. Can you please share how to study. I plan to study this whole summer and take DAT at the end of summer. Thank you

@NathanDinh That is not really the purpose of this thread. There is plenty of great advice on the dat discussions sub forum

Hi guys,
First, thanks for taking your time to read this thread.
I recently took my first DAT and planning on applying this upcoming cycle.
Here is my current standing:
GPA:3.4
sGPA:3.3

DAT 23AA 21TS 23PAT 20BIO 20GC 27OC 18RC 30QR

Shadowing @General dentist: ~400hr
Dental Assistant @General dentist: ~800hr

Research:
1.Undergraduate Senior year (maybe published before applying, no clue)
2. Full time researcher at DOD lab currently (having a gap year, or two years before matriculating)

Volunteer:
Overseas under-developed countries 9 day trip
~50 hrs of total in general.

Leadership:
President of a club for 1 semester during senior year and member for rest of the years.

Lists of schools that I currently have:
Loma linda
Western university
LECOM
NOVA
MIDwestern University
Boston
Tufts
Maryland
VCU
New England
Roseman
NYU
Great job on the DAT!
Like @DSchoolorBust202X said, I would trim some private schools off of that list because you have some of the most expensive schools in the country there. If that doesn't concern you then you have a solid list and a good chance of getting in with your stats.