What are my chances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureDDS247

Reaction score
Date of submission: 06/24/2020
Overall GPA: 3.43
Science GPA: 3.34
BCP GPA: 3.09
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
1st attempt 07/03/2019: PAT:
18 QR: 17 RC: 22 Bio: 18 Gen Chem: 17 Orgo Chem: 16 TS: 17 AA: 18
2nd attempt 08/10/2020: PAT: 21 QR: 19 RC: 25 Bio: 21 Gen Chem: 22 Orgo Chem: 22 TS: 22 AA: 22
State of Residence: Indiana

Major: Kinesiology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 300+ hours at 3 different dentists
Volunteering Experience: 100+ hours at local food bank and local free dental clinic
Employment: Worked as a research technician the past year at a bacterial lab
Research: Conducted research at my University (UIUC) in Animal Science Laboratory

School list:
Applied to:
IU
Marquette
A.T. Still
Tufts
Colorado
USC (Herman Ostrow)
Oregon
UIC

Might add:
Loma Linda
UNLV
Roseman

I got accepted into a pre-professional Master's program at IUPUI starting in the Fall. I don't think I am going to attend because my DAT score improved a lot. Any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, same. I took a year off before applying. I just didn’t know that was non-traditional.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats look good though, I think you have a good chance this cycle with your DAT retake.

Any publications with your research?

Your stats look good though, I think you have a good chance this cycle with your DAT retake.

Any publications with your research?
Great! Thank you, I appreciate your input. And unfortunately no, I graduated before I could completely finish my project

Last edited:
Date of submission: 06/24/2020
Overall GPA: 3.43
Science GPA: 3.34
BCP GPA: 3.09
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
1st attempt 07/03/2019: PAT:
18 QR: 17 RC: 22 Bio: 18 Gen Chem: 17 Orgo Chem: 16 TS: 17 AA: 18
2nd attempt 08/10/2020: PAT: 21 QR: 19 RC: 25 Bio: 21 Gen Chem: 22 Orgo Chem: 22 TS: 22 AA: 22
State of Residence: Indiana

Major: Kinesiology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? Yes

Shadowing Experience: 300+ hours at 3 different dentists
Volunteering Experience: 100+ hours at local food bank and local free dental clinic
Employment: Worked as a research technician the past year at a bacterial lab
Research: Conducted research at my University (UIUC) in Animal Science Laboratory

School list:
Applied to:
IU
Marquette
A.T. Still
Tufts
Colorado
USC (Herman Ostrow)
Oregon
UIC

Might add:
Loma Linda
UNLV
Roseman

I got accepted into a pre-professional Master's program at IUPUI starting in the Fall. I don't think I am going to attend because my DAT score improved a lot. Any thoughts on this?

add a lot more schools
consider skipping the masters...

I graduated in 2019 from undergrad so not really straight out of school
Taking gap years don't make you non-traditional btw; non-trad is more like career changers/military/etc.
I would add more schools, 8 is far too few with your BCP GPA and being a non-Bio major. Shoot for a minimum of 12-13. The schools you have on your list and are thinking about are good (LLU only if you have religious ties/can get an LOR from a spiritual/religious leader), but add a few more.

Taking gap years don't make you non-traditional btw; non-trad is more like career changers/military/etc.
I would add more schools, 8 is far too few with your BCP GPA and being a non-Bio major. Shoot for a minimum of 12-13. The schools you have on your list and are thinking about are good (LLU only if you have religious ties/can get an LOR from a spiritual/religious leader), but add a few more.

Is being a Bio major important to DS?

Is being a Bio major important to DS?
No but being a non-Bio major means you likely took fewer Bio classes, which means you don't have very many classes factoring into your BCP GPA, and in OP's case, their BCP GPA is very low. I'd assume Kinesiology classes count in sGPA but not BCP and that's why there's such a discrepancy between their sGPA & BCP GPA.

No but being a non-Bio major means you likely took fewer Bio classes, which means you don't have very many classes factoring into your BCP GPA, and in OP's case, their BCP GPA is very low. I'd assume Kinesiology classes count in sGPA but not BCP and that's why there's such a discrepancy between their sGPA & BCP GPA.

Ah, I see

Keep the masters on the hook if you can until you secure an acceptance, your total profile makes you competitive but not a shoe in for this cycle. As a IN resident, you should definitely add midwestern- IL and louisville for sure. Then definitely add some more private schools. Roseman and Loma linda are good ideas, NYU would be a solid safety pick as well. I feel 14-15 schools is a safe bet for your total profile.

Oh I gotcha, thank you for that. I ended up adding Midwestern-AZ and WesternU, so I am at 10 right now. May add more but also am running low on $$.