What are my Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coral Blue

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional applicant with a low GPA, but a big upward trend, I had an upward trend my last 2 years of undergrad and did a post bacc to boost my GPA for a year. I ended with a 3.99 during my post-bacc.

I graduated from UC Davis. California resident. cGPA 3.10 (AMCAS and AACOMAS Verified), sGPA 2.99 (AMCAS Verified) and 3.10 (AACOMAS Verified)

I have 32 hours of tutoring. 632 hours of research. 80 hours shadowing a physician. 500 clinical hours, not including the shadowing and 100 non-clinical hours. The non-clinical hours were medical education regarding end of life rights and volunteering at an elementary school. My only awards come from outstanding academic performance.

My personal statement I'm leaving out of this conversation as it is too subjective and, without really reading it, an accurate judgement cannot be made.

I'm applying to a healthy mix of M.D and D.O schools with a 60/40 split for D.O. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which schools are you applying to ?

Wake Forest
Davis
UCSF
CNUCOM
Kaiser
UCR
Albany
Loyola
OUWB
University of Arizona - Phoenix and Tucson
Rosalind Franklin
SUNY Downstate
Boston University
Touro (CA, NV, NY)
Des Moines
Midwestern (Arizona and Chicago)
CHSU
Western University COM
NYITCOM
AT Still
Rocky Vista
Pacific Northwest

Members don't see this ad :)
MD schools are unlikely with your stats (only ~25% according to the GPA-MCAT grid) but you could receive interviews at some DO schools. Add more DO schools and I suggest these:
ATSU-SOMA
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
WCU-COM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
Noorda-COM (new school)

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with Faha. Your stats (particularly your sGPA) make MD schools a long shot. You should apply to 20+ DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
MD schools are unlikely with your stats (only ~25% according to the GPA-MCAT grid) but you could receive interviews at some DO schools. Add more DO schools and I suggest these:
ATSU-SOMA
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
WCU-COM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
Noorda-COM (new school)

Thank you for the input! I'll take these into consideration.

I am a non-traditional applicant with a low GPA, but a big upward trend, I had an upward trend my last 2 years of undergrad and did a post bacc to boost my GPA for a year. I ended with a 3.99 during my post-bacc.

I graduated from UC Davis. California resident. cGPA 3.10 (AMCAS and AACOMAS Verified), sGPA 2.99 (AMCAS Verified) and 3.10 (AACOMAS Verified)

I have 32 hours of tutoring. 632 hours of research. 80 hours shadowing a physician. 500 clinical hours, not including the shadowing and 100 non-clinical hours. The non-clinical hours were medical education regarding end of life rights and volunteering at an elementary school. My only awards come from outstanding academic performance.

My personal statement I'm leaving out of this conversation as it is too subjective and, without really reading it, an accurate judgement cannot be made.

I'm applying to a healthy mix of M.D and D.O schools with a 60/40 split for D.O. Any advice?
MCAT score?????

Reactions: 1 users