What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MD.Loading

Reaction score
Hey everyone just looking for some insight as to what my chances are at a few schools.

I am an African American female who double majored and received a BS in Music and BS in Biochemistry (very time consuming)
EXPEREINCES:
Medical Scribing
Organic Chemistry Lab TA
Summer Research Internship at UMB
150+ Shadowing hours (hematology oncology, medical oncology, family medicine, ob/gyn)
500+ volunteer hours in the last 4 years of undergrad: habitat for humanity, college fair, feeding the homeless, new student mentor, teaching piano lessons

OTHER WORK:
Resident Assistant for 1 year

sGPA: 3.2 cGPA: 3.6
MCAT: 502; 124, 127, 125, 126

Extracurricular: Classically trained pianist, elite choir at university, club officer

Honestly I've applied to several schools but my preferences are: Meharry Medical College, Howard, and Morehouse. What are my chances???

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where did you go to school?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to all HBCUs, state schools, and Some DO schools and you will be successful somewhere. If you apply to some of the low tier private MD schools you MAY get an interview/acceptance but it’s a long shot

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately can't afford to add anymore schools but thanks so much for the feedback!

Moderators, suggest moving to WAMC

Chances for the HBCs are fine. Add UCLA/Drew to your list, and your state schools.

Moderators, suggest moving to WAMC

Chances for the HBCs are fine. Add UCLA/Drew to your list, and your state schools.
Also I have about 15 schools already I was just asking about these 3 specifically because those are my top 3.

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Maybe you didn't see that I was asking about 3 specific schools (Meharry, Howard and Morehouse). At least based on their stats, I'm well within their range of accepted students but I was asking for insight regarding my overall package given the fact that "qualified" students are rejected all the time for a variety of reasons.
Apply to all HBCUs, state schools, and Some DO schools and you will be successful somewhere. If you apply to some of the low tier private MD schools you MAY get an interview/acceptance but it’s a long shot

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Maybe you didn't see that I was asking about 3 specific schools (Meharry, Howard and Morehouse). At least based on their stats, I'm well within their range of accepted students but I was asking for insight regarding my overall package given the fact that "qualified" students are rejected all the time for a variety of reasons.

I think you have a very good chance since your GPA/MCAT are competitive and your extracurriculars are strong. Your music background will make you stand out and shows that you are capable of devoting significant time to mastering something. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.