What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uwiqoeu

Reaction score
Good morning everyone, I am applying to medical school next year and wanted to know if you guys think I have any chance/shot of getting into MD at all? Here are my info/stats:
Undergraduate School: VCU

Total GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.79

MCAT: 509
C/P: 127
CARS: 124
B/B: 129
P/S: 129

Letter of Recommendations: (5)

Extra Curricular Activities:

Clinical Experience: (Still continuing)

EMT (Basic Level):
Physician Substitute 1000 hours >
Ambulance 1000 hours >

Medical Scribe: 800 hours

Organizations:

Student Organization Secretary: 1 year

Research: (Still continuing)

1 1/2 year of researching experience (Basic Lab and Computational Skill analysis etc.)

Volunteer: (Still continuing)

Hospice Care: 500 hours >
Biology 152 Preceptorship (Teaching Assistant): 1 Semester
Biochem and Gen Chem Precetorship (Tutor): 1-2 Semester

I also want to let you know that I am willing to apply broadly and mostly anywhere and am planning to do a lot of non-clinical volunteering in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is a physician substitute?
Any physician shadowing?
What about nonclinical volunteering focusing on the unserved/underserved in your community?
The TA and tutoring will go under teaching. M

Members don't see this ad :)
Any physician shadowing?
What about nonclinical volunteering focusing on the unserved/underserved in your community?
A physician substitute is responsible for the evaluation of potential donors for plasmapheresis and in providing limited emergency care, including the administration of any medications or treatments in accordance with licensure or certification, training and SOP guidance. No shadowing, but have medical scribe. I am planning to do a lot of non-clinical volunteering until next cycle. And ok understood!

Any physician shadowing?
I also want to let you know that I am willing to apply broadly and mostly anywhere.

I also want to let you know that I am willing to apply broadly and mostly anywhere.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Tech
U Virginia
West Virginia
Wake Forest
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rush
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Tulane
NOVA MD

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Tech
U Virginia
West Virginia
Wake Forest
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rush
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Tulane
NOVA MD
Thank you so much!

Your GPA balances out your MCAT. You can retake (and, like the other poster mentioned, push the CARS up) if you wish to be competitive for top schools, but otherwise you should be fine as is.

Reactions: 1 user
I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't matriculate MD, possibly with multiple acceptances depending on how your essay writing is and your school list. CARS score is a little low but if you have a realistic school list, I think you have a very strong chance. Retaking the MCAT wouldn't hurt though, not that your score is too low but to push up that CARS a little. Good luck!
Thank you so much I really appreciate it!
I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't matriculate MD, possibly with multiple acceptances depending on how your essay writing is and your school list. CARS score is a little low but if you have a realistic school list, I think you have a very strong chance. Retaking the MCAT wouldn't hurt though, not that your score is too low but to push up that CARS a little. Good luc

I am literally ok with any MD school and am willing to apply broad and do as many schools as possible!
Your GPA balances out your MCAT. You can retake (and, like the other poster mentioned, push the CARS up) if you wish to be competitive for top schools, but otherwise you should be fine as is.

• Love
I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't matriculate MD, possibly with multiple acceptances depending on how your essay writing is and your school list. CARS score is a little low but if you have a realistic school list, I think you have a very strong chance. Retaking the MCAT wouldn't hurt though, not that your score is too low but to push up that CARS a little. Good luck!
While what you are saying might happen , be careful of giving misleading info. The truth is that in every cycle less than 40% of ALL applicants are accepted to any school and about half of that number are accepted to only one school. This means around 60% of all applicants are outright reject each cycle.
So OP spend time developing a broad list that fits you and your interests. Work hard on your nonclinical volunteering. Do you have any shadowing? You only need about 40-50 hours but be sure to include some with a primary doc.
Good luck as you move forward.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
While what you are saying might happen , be careful of giving misleading info. The truth is that in every cycle less than 40% of ALL applicants are accepted to any school and about half of that number are accepted to only one school. This means around 60% of all applicants are outright reject each cycle.
So OP spend time developing a broad list that fits you and your interests. Work hard on your nonclinical volunteering. Do you have any shadowing? You only need about 40-50 hours but be sure to include some with a primary doc.
Good luck as you move forward.
I am really grateful that you have brought this up thank you so much!