What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maverick

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me the average GPA, MCAT for those that have matriculated to osteopathic med school. My GPA is around 3.8 and MCAT was 29. I have hospital and research experience as well as many other extracurricular activities. Will I get interviewed? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If I was a betting man, I would bet in your favor. But I will tell you the same thing I tell premeds with GPAs around 3.3/3.4. Getting interviewed/accepted depends on a number of things. For one, the application breaks down your GPA into a number of different sub-GPAs like science, non-science, post-bacc, graduate, etc. Someone with an overall GPA of 3.7/3.8 but a science GPA of 3.2 won't fare as well as someone with an overall and science GPA of 3.5. So it depends on whether your GPA breaks down nicely.

Also, you mention that you have hospital and research experience -- those are definte pluses. Just be able to talk about them in your interview and keep the interviewers attention, and you should be fine. From my own interview experiences, the osteopathic schools were less interested in my graduate research and more interested in my experiences with patients.

Lastly, get a good letter of rec from a DO and you'll be set.

I wish you luck!!

ggulick.gif

I think you have a good chance to get in medical school. Well, as Greg has said, admission depend on many factor.

However, I believe you do have a chance. Apply to different schools. Don't just focus on the top schools.

Just a reminder, sent in your application early!!
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies. Another question? I have very little knowledge of the osteopathic schools and their reputations. I am considering Nova, CCOM, AZCOM, PCOM, and the school in Pomona, CA. Any comments are of help. Thanks.

By the way, science GPA 3.7, non-science 3.9.

[This message has been edited by maverick (edited May 24, 1999).]

apply to MD school. Forget AZCOM and Pomona. Apply to PCOM, NYCOM, CCOM

maverick you can do whatever you want. MD, DO, DPM, OD, whatever. You have the stats and the EC experience it sounds like. You'll be fine...

maverick said:
Can anyone give me the average GPA, MCAT for those that have matriculated to osteopathic med school. My GPA is around 3.8 and MCAT was 29. I have hospital and research experience as well as many other extracurricular activities. Will I get interviewed? Thanks

Um, you'll get an interview almost anywhere you want, unless you have no personality.

BrettBatchelor said:
The OP is most likely in residency somewhere now. Check the thread date.

So why is the thread active again?