what are my chances ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maludamx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.2 undergrad. 2.7 GPA in pre med courses and 35 on mcats. what are my chances getting in a U.S. med school

Members don't see this ad.

maludamx said:
I have a 3.2 undergrad. 2.7 GPA in pre med courses and 35 on mcats. what are my chances getting in a U.S. med school

MD school, probably not good UNLESS you've shown that you can do well in upper-level bio courses (IE if you dicked around as a freshman but pulled it together later, you'd probably be ok).

DO school, probably pretty good as long as you actually have a vested interest in osteopathy. shadow DO's, read the history, search the forums. you can figure out if it's for you or not. but you're not gonna get in if they know you're just apply 'cause you smoked too much pot and are now just taking the path of least resistance.

if you want to go MD, you're going to do an extra year or so just taking upper level sciences and doing well in them... but for gods sake, don't let that mcat score expire.

and don't forget about all the volunteering/shadowing/etc that's important no matter what your gpa/mcat is.

You have 15 units of chance. Any other takers?
Have you thought about a post-bac program? You seem like the perfect candidate. Spend a year to address the GPA & work on your ECs (based on your description it seems like you have none) and you'd be a much stronger candidate. Maybe you'd have more than 15 units of chance, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
in all honesty, you gotta have at least a 3.0 sci gpa. i've never heard of any non-urms that have gotten in with less than a 3.0. i know someone who got into one school with a 3.1. i feel like i'm very borderline with my 3.23. definitely look into some post-baccs. good luck yo.
-mota

to be honest, no you don't have a chance. unfortunately, even though u did pretty well on the mcat.. that's not going to completely negate your grades. good news tho, if you do a post bac, grad degree, or some other grad level work (and of course do well) there's a lot of schools that may be willing to overlook the lower undergrad gpa. i have friend who was in a similar situation, did a postbac at MCV and just got into med school a few weeks ago.

yes, the mcat is probably the MOST Important factor. gpa's are hard to guage because every school has a diff system and diff curriculums....

but MCATs are standardized straight across the US. MCATs may not be a good predictor, but it is a VERY imporant factor.

HOWEVER, it does not mean that gpa counts me garbage. i still believe you need a good science gpa. your 2.7 is like getting all Cs and a sprinkle of Bs.