what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pencilfloor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:oops::)

Members don't see this ad.

pencilfloor said:
Hey Guys
I have great extra curricular activities but only just sent in my secondaries at the beginning of this month. My LOR'S are in and my file is complete at a couple of schools. What do you think my chances are of getting into a DO school. My stats are cummgpa:3.62 science:3.65 mcat kinda low
V:6 b:8 p:7 w:O I dont do well on standardized exams. When I took the exam in April I got a 17 but went up in August to a 21. What are your thoughts?

Apply for Kirskville, Arizona, UNE, Pikesville, and West Virginia right now.

Plan on taking the April MCAT in case you don't get in.

You should have applied earlier, but you still have a chance.

Verbal is too low, but the GPA could make up for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the average MCAT for most DO shools is 26-27. So, I think you are better off retaking the MCAT in April.

Try vcom,wsvom,and lecom.

esth0001 said:
I think the average MCAT for most DO shools is 26-27. So, I think you are better off retaking the MCAT in April.

The ones I listed have lower averages.

Also keep it mind it is an average, and not a range. Since the GPA is higher than average, it will allow more leeway with the MCAT.

i would cross my fingers and apply widely to schools but if you haven't heard anything (i.e. no interviews) by january, gear up and begin hardcore prep for the april test. i think you need to look at how you prepared the first 2 times and revamp that plan a bit, maybe with different materials or a different course or just a different strategy. lots of us can help w/ commenting on the mcat study plan you come up with if you need advice for how to take your score to the next level.

don't feel bad if you don't hear anything and have to retake. you will definately make it in next cycle if not this one with a slightly higher mcat and early apps. the good thing about not getting in this cycle will be that next time, with a better application, you will have so many more options as far as acceptances you get and you'll have the luxury of CHOOSING schools you like, locations, etc.

that said i still think you have a shot for this cycle; just wait and see and after christmas if need be you can start prepping for april.

good luck, you can definately make this happen!! :)

crys20 said:
i would cross my fingers and apply widely to schools but if you haven't heard anything (i.e. no interviews) by january, gear up and begin hardcore prep for the april test. i think you need to look at how you prepared the first 2 times and revamp that plan a bit, maybe with different materials or a different course or just a different strategy. lots of us can help w/ commenting on the mcat study plan you come up with if you need advice for how to take your score to the next level.

don't feel bad if you don't hear anything and have to retake. you will definately make it in next cycle if not this one with a slightly higher mcat and early apps. the good thing about not getting in this cycle will be that next time, with a better application, you will have so many more options as far as acceptances you get and you'll have the luxury of CHOOSING schools you like, locations, etc.

that said i still think you have a shot for this cycle; just wait and see and after christmas if need be you can start prepping for april.

good luck, you can definately make this happen!! :)

Crys,

How did you prep for the MCAT??? :D

lol there are better people to ask than me. :)

i took it in aug before my jr year, so a year before i applied. i didn't work or take classes or anything so studying was all i did from june to august. i didn't take a class, but i bought all the books that Examkrackers makes. I also bought the aamc tests 4-7..but now they have an 8th test too. i used my textbooks for the stuff in the EK books i didn't remember very well.

GOOD LUCK!! :)

Gracias Crys!! :thumbup:

ya your MCAT is low, but it will be the fact that you waited so long to apply that will keep you from getting in this year. however, there is still a good chance that you may get some interviews. get those applications in immediately.

Canuck99 said:
ya your MCAT is low, but it will be the fact that you waited so long to apply that will keep you from getting in this year. however, there is still a good chance that you may get some interviews. get those applications in immediately.

I would try this cycle as well. Keep preparing for the MCAT while you apply.

Please let me know how you come out.

pencilfloor said:
Hey Guys
I have great extra curricular activities but only just sent in my secondaries at the beginning of this month. My LOR'S are in and my file is complete at a couple of schools. What do you think my chances are of getting into a DO school. My stats are cummgpa:3.62 science:3.65 mcat kinda low
V:6 b:8 p:7 w:O I dont do well on standardized exams. When I took the exam in April I got a 17 but went up in August to a 21. What are your thoughts?