What are my chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oreo2004

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
So, I have a GPA of 3.97, MCAT: Bio=12, Phys=11, Verb=6, Writ=R. How are my chances at a regular MD school considering english isn't my first language?? Also, some schools have an extra page that allows you to explain any bad grades, felonies, etc...How should I approach writing about my **6**?? thanks for any feedback!!

Members don't see this ad.

oreo2004 said:
Hi everyone!
So, I have a GPA of 3.97, MCAT: Bio=12, Phys=11, Verb=6, Writ=R. How are my chances at a regular MD school considering english isn't my first language?? Also, some schools have an extra page that allows you to explain any bad grades, felonies, etc...How should I approach writing about my **6**?? thanks for any feedback!!

Did you score better than a 6V on practice tests? Some schools may get past this due to your foreign language status, but you really would improve your choices if you retook it and can pull it up a couple of points.

R is ~95th percentile writing sample. How did you pull a 6 verbal if you write so well?

Members don't see this ad :)
GoodDoctor said:
R is ~95th percentile writing sample. How did you pull a 6 verbal if you write so well?

I can't understand it either :confused: lol!!

oreo2004 said:
I can't understand it either :confused: lol!!
I'd say that while the writing sample is usually useless, you can use it for evidence that while your ESL history might mean that you don't do so hot on the verbal section you can still communicate in English very well. Also, what's your first language? Language skills can be a strong selling point.

GoodDoctor said:

I'm pretty sure that VR and WS test very different abilities...

If you think you can improve your verbal score, I would retake. Your stats are good enough so that I think an adcom would take into consideration that English isn't your first language. But you should definitely either include it in your PS or in the additional section you mentioned. If you can demonstrate that you are proficient in English than I think you have decent chances.

I was in exact same situation with exact same score as yours and a bit lower gpa (3.84) and decided to take mcat again and to my surprise pulled it to a 10V. You sound like an intelligent person and your writing score is extremely good so I don't think you should have any trouble improving ur verbal by a couple of points; once you do that you will get many more interviews and acceptances to schools of your choice rather than going whereever you get in. Pm me if you want to know how i improved my verbal and good luck.