Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What are my chances

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by subwrx04, May 11, 2007.

1. subwrx04

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys, I just got a 29O on my MCAT from april 7th

VR 6
    PS 13
    BS 10
    WS O

I have a 3.6 GPA from a pretty good school and have pretty good extracurriculars. Where if any would I get interviews to? I refuse to take that awful test again.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Critical Mass

Medical Student
  4. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    Your score is impressive, but that 6 in VR will likely come back to haunt you. A 3.6 isn't really high enough to make up for a slightly below average MCAT. Ifyou have awesome EC's and LORs, you may get some interviews at mid-tier schools. You can also consider posting in the pre-osteo forum and looking at your chances there - you'd be a pretty competitive candidate (although plenty of the top osteo schools have median MCATs that are as competitive as allo schools).

Let me ask, though, if you "refuse to take that awful test again," what does that say about your dedication to becoming a physician? I know the MCAT sucks, but if you're truly determined to be a doctor, wouldn't a better attitude be to do whatever you need to in order to make yourself more competitive?

In order to enhance your chances of standing out a bit and getting more interviews, my advice to you would be to seriously consider retaking the MCAT and get your VR up to at least an 8.

Best of luck,
    -z

5. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II

Medical Student
    See, if you could get that VR up to even an 8, you'd have a really decent shot.

6. chable

chable A sphincter says, "what."

Resident [Any Field]
    That 6 in verbal is a very big red flag and will keep you out of consideration from many schools.

Don't refuse to take the test again. It's just the tip of the iceberg.

7. Old ortho

Medical Student
    You VR is low. What state are you from? If you are in a competitive state, you may have to apply broadly for both low tier MD and DO schools. If you work on the verbal and get it up to 9 or 10, you will have a better shot at mid tier med schools.

8. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS

Resident [Any Field]
    Is English a second language for you?

Which would you prefer, going DO or Carib - or retaking the MCAT? I think that may be your realistic choice.

9. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    DO and Caribbean schools shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as "equal alternatives". DO schools have standards, and their graduates are MUCH more successful in landing competitive US residencies.

-z

10. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    That VR is going to cause you a lot of problems. You'd be better off re-taking the test, sorry.

11. mikkey

Resident [Any Field]
    As it has been said before, the 6 in Verbal will hurt you. An adcom told me that Verbal was the score he looked at most.
    And what is a pretty good school?

12. DoctorPLASTIC

DoctorPLASTIC Banned
    Banned

OP: retake the test. Verbal will go up, even if you dont restudy. JUst try to get at least a 10 and you should get accepted somewhere. SOrry but it looks like youll have to retake the test!:(

13. gary5

gary5 Senior Member

Tough one, considering that the VR score correlates with success in med school. I'd put all your effort into retaking the MCAT and don't take it until you're scoring 10+ on the VR of practice exams.

14. DropkickMurphy

Banned

Other Health Professions Student
  15. Mardi-Bob

Mardi-Bob HOJU

Medical Student
    Forgot where I read this, but it's factual. A MCAT verbal score of 9 or above correlates with a 90% pass rate on USMLE step 1.
    Believe me, every admission committee knows this.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. jstuds_66

jstuds_66 Free cat to a good home

Medical Student
    I got 29R and I didn't get it. 10-10-9(VR) I applied to mostly schools that accept a median of 30 MCAT. However, most of them told me that being just below 30 is what killed me. They told me to retake the MCAT to get that VR at 10 or above. That's been my experience. You also might want to consider retaking the MCAT because some schools will screen you out if you have below 7 in any subject. Good luck!

18. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Awesome, you just convinced me to stop studying tonight. :thumbup:

19. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    that's weird, because the national average is 30, and SDN alone should account for thousands of people in the 27-29 range being accepted (providing their scores are balanced - a 13, 13, 3 is not gonna fly).

20. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Agree with most of the others -- if you want a US allo school you are going to need to get that verbal up a couple of points. A 29 itself wouldn't be prohibitive of med school, but a VR 6 is a huge impediment. With that, I wouldn't say you have a particularly good chance of getting any nibbles. Plan on a retake.

21. gsmithers68

Medical Student
    I think it depends on what your ECs look like... also what state are you from? If you have a lot of in-state options then you might be alright. If you are a west coast applicant then I'd say you are in trouble because your options are much more limited.

I would say apply to about 10-15 schools... maybe two to three reach schools depending on your ECs and how well you can write (your PS is crucial with this score)... also your GPA is probably just as important if not more than your score.

Oh and just a little extra support.. I had a friend who is white middle-class... he got a 3.6 in college and had a 30Q on his MCAT with a 6VR, 13PS, 11BS. He is a second year at UW now. It's possible to get into schools with a score similar. Keep your hopes up. You are just going to have to rely on other parts of your app to stand out.

22. Old ortho

Medical Student
    What state are you from?

23. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Everybody knows an exception to the rule. But odds are always stacked pretty strongly against being another exception. In general, if you have to rely on someone's anecdotal hail mary as an example that it isn't hopeless, you really need to fix the problem (i.e. retake) rather than hope lightening will strike twice.

24. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel

Note that he said 90% pass rate and not 90th percentile, which is what I first read it as. Boo. :mad:

25. medstuddude

medstuddude Banned
    Banned

So everyone with 9 on verbal is screwed, huh? Which schools?

26. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy"

Medical Student
    No, his case was that a 30 looks better than a 29 because of the 3 in the tens place.

27. medstuddude

medstuddude Banned
    Banned

uh? or he might have a so-so GPA ? not so solid ECs? Age factor (too young or old)? Community College grad? I dont know

28. medstuddude

medstuddude Banned
    Banned

this one guy I know got into Dartmouth and UCSD with 29. He is fillipino but I dontknow if he counts as a URM?