What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brn2entertain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Junior biology student, pre-med. The reason that I am asking my chances is because, although I knew exactly what I wanted to do, I wasn't exactly sure how to get there, and I decided late the medical school was my best option. Due to a late decision, I currently have no research experience, and am looking to apply this coming summer. I am working hard to find research opportunities at my school but here are my current credentials...

3.73 GPA
3.9 science GPA

Dance team my freshman year, now just dance on the side at a local studio
Member of the Crew (rowing) team
I have a part-time job working approx. 30 hours a week (so I can pay for medical school)
Volunteer 1-2 times a week at the local free clinic

I took a practice MCAT without preparing just to see where I stand, and I got a 32. I am currently using a study aid to prepare and boost that score!!

I know I am not the most well-rounded pre-medical school with 3 years of research and clinical experience, but I really have the heart for what I want to do in the future! So what are my chances? Do you think the lack of research/experience will hurt me? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

your GPA is great, and if you can repeat a 32 on the real MCAT or get higher, you're an excellent candidate. Your volunteering a free clinic is really good, and school involvement is solid. Maintaining that GPA with 30hrs/wk of work is incredible.

I think you have a great shot, and I think research & physician shadowing with some good letters of reference will put you over the top. You're an excellent candidate.

I agree with the previous poster. Stay on track with what you are doing, get that 30+ on the MCAT and you'll be a competitive candidate.

Some simple things you could do to bolster your app:

1) Physician shadowing, quick and painless if you can set it up.
2) See if you can do an independent research course for credit (easy way to get research experience)
3) See if you can fit in some tutoring - medical schools like teaching because teaching our colleagues is such a big part of our medical training.
4) Make sure you start cultivating your LORs now.

Good Luck! You've got great numbers and that's alot of the battle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be aware that adcomms will want to see evidence of dedication to the idea of becoming a doctor, meaning that last minute ECs aren't going to help you much. If you just began your free clinic volunteering this semester, then you'd have less than a year to put on your application. Even one semester of research will cause more schools to consider you, but a year would be better. It would be in your best interests to consider applying a year from next June, rather than the upcoming cycle, so you can get your application into the best shape it can be. This will give you plenty of time to get in everything you should, including evidence of leadership (which tutoring would satisfy).

You will definitely be an excellent candidate with your outstanding GPA, and probable great MCAT score. Make sure the rest of your application is what it should be, to get the best chance of admission.

thanks for the responses! It is just hard because I decided so late, and having a part time job right now limits me on my available days in which I would be able to do research. But I am definitely trying to find something, the hospital in the area is just really hard to get into, so I thought volunteering would be the easiest.

I was talking to my pre-med advisor today, and she came up with the idea that if I am really worried about not having enought research to get into a MD/PhD program, I could always apply the end of my senior year and take a year off. Or I could enter into MD and do my PhD afterwards. Any thoughts on this, especially about taking the year off to get clinical experience?