Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What are my chances

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by MedschoolAdream, Dec 16, 2008.

1. MedschoolAdream

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys i am one of those guys whose extremely dedicated who won't let go of a dream. I currently have a 3.1 GPA Third year undergrad @ UCLA. If i had raised my GPA from a 3.1 to lets say a 3.5 or 3.6 cGPA.

Extra Curriculars

Research Assistant 1 year
    Hospital Internship 1 year
    President of two clubs 1 year
    Medical Mission to Mexico/ Uganda
    Junior Basketball Coach
    Clinic(serving an underprivileged population in Los Angeles)

What are my chances?

2. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    There's no reason for you to let go of your dream. Your extracurricular activities look great. And a GPA is fixable. Assuming five semesters went into that GPA of 3.1, with 4 more semesters and one summer of school, getting a GPA of 4.0, your GPA could get up to 3.55 by the time you graduate. With a better than average MCAT score, you'd have a shot at MD med schools. If you can get it up to the 3.3-3.4 range (which would take less time, assuming the same great grades) and get an MCAT of 24-27, you'd be a good candidate for most DO med schools. If being too involved in activities is hurting your GPA rescue efforts, maybe it's time to cut some of them out and concentrate on your grades. No one will appreciate your excellent activities if your stats don't beat the schools' automatic cut offs.

There are, BTW, some DO schools that will consider your application with your current GPA, assuming a decent MCAT. here is the link to them: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7199902&postcount=2