MedschoolAdream

10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys i am one of those guys whose extremely dedicated who won't let go of a dream. I currently have a 3.1 GPA Third year undergrad @ UCLA. If i had raised my GPA from a 3.1 to lets say a 3.5 or 3.6 cGPA.

Extra Curriculars

Research Assistant 1 year
Hospital Internship 1 year
President of two clubs 1 year
Medical Mission to Mexico/ Uganda
Junior Basketball Coach
Clinic(serving an underprivileged population in Los Angeles)

What are my chances?

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
There's no reason for you to let go of your dream. Your extracurricular activities look great. And a GPA is fixable. Assuming five semesters went into that GPA of 3.1, with 4 more semesters and one summer of school, getting a GPA of 4.0, your GPA could get up to 3.55 by the time you graduate. With a better than average MCAT score, you'd have a shot at MD med schools. If you can get it up to the 3.3-3.4 range (which would take less time, assuming the same great grades) and get an MCAT of 24-27, you'd be a good candidate for most DO med schools. If being too involved in activities is hurting your GPA rescue efforts, maybe it's time to cut some of them out and concentrate on your grades. No one will appreciate your excellent activities if your stats don't beat the schools' automatic cut offs.

There are, BTW, some DO schools that will consider your application with your current GPA, assuming a decent MCAT. here is the link to them: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7199902&postcount=2

About the Ads