Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

what are my chances???

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by nkaur13, Dec 28, 2008.

1. nkaur13

nkaur13 stat1303

Pre-Medical
    My gpa at the moment is at a 3.1 and my science gpa is not known because i still have a few science classes left to take. I am taking the MCAT in May. I have a feeling i dont have the grades for med school but I do have 2 years of clinical experience at an urgent care where I draw blood, give injections, etc. and volunteering experience at an ER in a hospital. Please be honest! Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!:)

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You need to get a great MCAT score 33+ and raise the GPA to at least a 3.3-3.4 for US MD.

You probably would be competitive at DO schools if you do well on the MCAT.

For now, keep volunteering. Make all A's and raise that GPA. And, you must do well on the MCAT.

US MD is a stretch but DO should be in range. Just depends on how bad you want it....you do have a chance though.

4. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Your clinical experience sounds great, but a GPA of 3.1 is not competitive for US allopathic medical schools.

5. nkaur13

nkaur13 stat1303

Pre-Medical
    Thank you! I still have a year and a half left. And so far I have gotten As in all my upper level (400 level) classes. Most of my low grades are in my non science classes. My science GPA should be high. I also have some summer research opps lined up. I am working very hard to get my gpa up. I also have great recommendations coming from Doctors as well as professors. If you know anything about an SMP program, what do you guys thing my chances are of getting into that?? Thanks again for your help!

6. J ROD

Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Decent MCAT score and if you continue to increase your GPA, I say you a good chance for SMP.

7. Tired

Tired Fading away
    7+ Year Member

Your chances are low.

8. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Indeed. I got rejected all over the place with that GPA and a 35. Get up to a 3.3 or better if at all possible.

9. J ROD

Resident [Any Field]
    But all it takes is one!

Job well done!