Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

what are my chances?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by htsang07, Dec 29, 2008.

1. htsang07

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Im a sophmore at Stony Brook University and im aiming to go to Stony Brook's medical school. I currently have a 3.4 GPA, my science grades so far are : General Chemistry: A- and B+, Chemistry Lab: B and B+, Organic Chemistry: A-, Biology: B, Biology Lab: B.

I think that i can improve my GPA to around a 3.5-3.6, but how will these grades affect me. The B in biology really worries me, but i feel that i will do better in future science classes. I took a practice MCAT and I got around 27-29.

What are my chances in getting into Stony Brook medical school?

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. halekulani

halekulani Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you're fine.

just aim for straight A's. if you end up getting a few Bs along the way, it won't kill you.

you took a practice mcat already? 27-29 is pretty good for your first few times. once you're fully prepared i dont think 30+ is out of the question.

4. htsang07

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    im plannin to get mostly As but maybe not straight As. but nevertheless i'm guessing i can get up to 3.6 more or less. and im aiming to get at least a 32 on the mcats. do u think that my stats are competitive enough for even more competitive medical schools? i really dont know what other medical schools to aim for other than stonybrooks medical school.
    Thanks.

5. Rzarecta

Rzarecta Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That will ultimately depend on how well you do on your GPA recovery and your MCAT. If you get the 3.6 and a 34+ you may want to try some of the more competitive ones. However, that is still a way off and I would keep a realistic aim (getting into any of the SUNYs at this point).

6. htsang07

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    thank you for replying.
    would getting into Stonybrook still be out of reach for me if say, my gpa was a 3.6 and my mcat score was around 33-35?
    Thanks.

7. Rzarecta

Rzarecta Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Those stats and some good ECs would put Stonybrook well within your reach.

8. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You are on track at this point. Keep up the good work!

Just do well on the MCAT..