Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

what are my chances?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by htsang07, Dec 29, 2008.

1. htsang07

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Im a sophmore at Stony Brook University and im aiming to go to Stony Brook's medical school. I currently have a 3.4 GPA, my science grades so far are : General Chemistry: A- and B+, Chemistry Lab: B and B+, Organic Chemistry: A-, Biology: B, Biology Lab: B.

I think that i can improve my GPA to around a 3.5-3.6, but how will these grades affect me. The B in biology really worries me, but i feel that i will do better in future science classes. I took a practice MCAT and I got around 27-29.

What are my chances in getting into Stony Brook medical school?

Thanks.

2. halekulani

halekulani Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you're fine.

just aim for straight A's. if you end up getting a few Bs along the way, it won't kill you.

you took a practice mcat already? 27-29 is pretty good for your first few times. once you're fully prepared i dont think 30+ is out of the question.

3. htsang07

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    im plannin to get mostly As but maybe not straight As. but nevertheless i'm guessing i can get up to 3.6 more or less. and im aiming to get at least a 32 on the mcats. do u think that my stats are competitive enough for even more competitive medical schools? i really dont know what other medical schools to aim for other than stonybrooks medical school.
    Thanks.

4. Rzarecta

Rzarecta Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That will ultimately depend on how well you do on your GPA recovery and your MCAT. If you get the 3.6 and a 34+ you may want to try some of the more competitive ones. However, that is still a way off and I would keep a realistic aim (getting into any of the SUNYs at this point).

5. htsang07

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    thank you for replying.
    would getting into Stonybrook still be out of reach for me if say, my gpa was a 3.6 and my mcat score was around 33-35?
    Thanks.

6. Rzarecta

Rzarecta Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Those stats and some good ECs would put Stonybrook well within your reach.

7. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You are on track at this point. Keep up the good work!

Just do well on the MCAT..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...