Aug 2, 2009
Status
Hey everyone, I'm a first time applicant taking a year off currently after graduating from Hopkins. I'm a Pennsylvania resident.

My cumulative GPA was a 3.28 and my math/science a 3.34
My GPA was at its highest in sophomore year and then had a downward trend with my worst semester being my last.
My MCAT was a 36T (11PS, 11VR, 14BS)

I'm an EMT-B and have been doing emergency response stuff for almost 3 years, I'm also a red cross certified emergency first response instructor, I have about 2 years of clinical research experience, and I'm spending this year as a hospice volunteer for Penn Hospice

I applied to around 23 schools

Albert Einstein
BostonU
Brown
Cornell
Drexel
GWU
Jefferson
Mt. Sinai
New York Medical
NYU
Penn State
Temple
UArizona
UChicago
UMaryland
UMinnesota
UNC
UPenn
UPittsburgh
USouthernCalifornia
UVA
UWisconsin
Wake Forest

What are my chances? Thanks for the help in advance.

Gryhu

Dom
10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Nice MCAT! I think your GPA is a little low for MD. Maybe you should also throw in some DO. Or you could do a post-bacc or SMP since you have a downward trend. Adcom might think you're not mature enough to be in medical school yet.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think your list is fairly poor, honestly. It's far too top-heavy for your GPA. I'd eliminate just about everything except the following schools:

BostonU
Drexel
GWU
Jefferson
New York Medical
Penn State
Temple
UMaryland
UVA
UWisconsin
Wake Forest

The others are too selective (most of them) or take mostly or only state residents (Arizona, UNC). I'd also consider dropping BU and GW since they get such an ungodly amount of apps that they tend to frown on anything but the most cookie-cutter of applicants, it seems. Schools to add would be Creighton, Tulane, SLU, VCU, EVMS, and maybe some Texas schools. Your GPA is going to hamstring you severely, so apply very broadly. You'll probably get an acceptance if your essays and LOR's are excellent, but you can't afford to be choosy.

rantf86

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2008
Status
Would you guys recommend that I apply to some DO schools, or do I have a decent shot at and MD school? Also if DO, which ones would you all recommend. Thanks for all the help.

rantf86

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2008
Status
alright so here's an update on my application. AMCAS decided that my cGPA was a 3.34 and my BCPM was a 3.49. I added Tulane, VCU, and E. Virginia to my list. Do you guys think I should add DO schools? I'd really like to get in this year because I took my MCAT 2 summers ago and the score would expire by next admissions cycle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
YES! Go DO, ESPECIALLY since this is your last chance before your great MCAT score expires! Remember, if you don't make it this time around, you'll have to take the MCAT again and most likely will score lower than that 36. No pressure, but you really do want to ensure you get in somewhere this time around. Make sure you apply to all your state schools, plenty of "safety" MDs and some good DOs. Remember that DO >>>>>>> Caribbean!

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
downward trend NEVER looks good.
You know this from your extensive experience with the application process, yes?

rantf86

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2008
Status
what DO schools would you all recommend? i don't know much about DO schools and I would like to know what some of the better DO schools are. Thanks for all the help!

UTsksk

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2008
Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You might have some issues there cause some DO schools want a DO letter. There's a list that chocolatebear has that lists the DO schools and their reqs on letters. I only know that TCOM doesn't require a DO letter since that's one of the schools I want to attend.