notafraid87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hey everyone,

I might apply to both MD and DO schools for next year's cycle.
I'm a reapplicant (applied for 2009 cycle) and already took the MCAT several months ago. I went from a 29 to 33 (VR:10 BS:12 PS:11).
However, my GPA's a major major problem:
First two years: 3.79
Third year: 3.49
Fourth year: 2.15 (One D, many C's)
I really don't have an explanation for the fourth year...the courses were tough and just lost my focus.

I do have ~2 yrs of research experience and 1/2 year of volunteering/shadowing.
By the way, my total GPA will be 3.42 and science GPA will be 3.21.
I had no problems with the pre-reqs, but the upper level courses just nailed me.

Of course, my advisors strongly recommended me not to apply and re-take courses instead. But I was wondering if I might have a shot at DO schools.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Edit: These are the schools that I might apply to:
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
New Jersey Medical School
University of Vermont
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
Loyola Stritch Medical School
Wake Forest University
Creighton University
Jefferson Medical College
Pennsylvania State University
Drexel University

UMDNJ SOM
Philadelphia Osteopathic School
NYCOM
Western COM

Last edited:

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Congrats on the MCAT improvement, but applying with a steep downward grade trend is not likely to end well regardless of where you apply. Retake the courses and prove those grades were a fluke and not the real you. It's the upper-level classes you most need to prove you can excel in, as they best mirror how you'd likely perform in med school classes.

Your research looks fine, but the clinical experience needs beefing up, so stick with it. Hopefully, you have other unmentioned activities as well.

Mar 31, 2010
AR
Status
Medical Student
I just wanted to chime in about your osteopathic schools selections. I have done a fair amount of research this year about osteopathic schools, and the ones you mentioned seem to be some of the most selective in the country. I would look into trying to widen your net a little if you want to maximize your chances of acceptance.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
You'll handily get into pretty much any DO school, but the MD schools will be difficult. Your GPA is a bit on the low side for them. think of it this way, would you prefer a 1st tier DO school, or a 2nd-3rd tier MD school. You decide?

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
You'll handily get into pretty much any DO school, but the MD schools will be difficult. Your GPA is a bit on the low side for them. think of it this way, would you prefer a 1st tier DO school, or a 2nd-3rd tier MD school. You decide?
Any of them? This isn't law school. You'll GMGP in any US school for sure.