What are my chances?

mijo850

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in 2010 and been working/ shadowing/volunteering since then. this summer I felt I was sure and ready to apply for dental schools. I submitted my app on sept29th, 2011 and applied for only 3 schools (in which one of them had a deadline date of sept 30th), my GPA is 3.34 with SCI GPA of 3.3. I'm also scheduled to take the DAT at the end of October (I have an extension for the school with the sept30th deadline till the end of Oct to submit everything including an unofficial DAT score). Now I cant stop but freak out about how late I am and how relatively low my GPAs are. Am I wasting my time applying and wanting to become a dentist, or do you guys think I still have some chances?
Thanks for any help and honest opinions.
:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated in 2010 and been working/ shadowing/volunteering since then. this summer I felt I was sure and ready to apply for dental schools. I submitted my app on sept29th, 2011 and applied for only 3 schools (in which one of them had a deadline date of sept 30th), my GPA is 3.34 with SCI GPA of 3.3. I'm also scheduled to take the DAT at the end of October (I have an extension for the school with the sept30th deadline till the end of Oct to submit everything including an unofficial DAT score). Now I cant stop but freak out about how late I am and how relatively low my GPAs are. Am I wasting my time applying and wanting to become a dentist, or do you guys think I still have some chances?

Depends on the schools. Some of the latter schools you'd probably have better odds at then schools who have already taxed their pre-dec interviews. GPA I think is fine, but with an application this late (which you gotta remember the DAT process time), you'll need a stellar DAT to turn some heads. While I don't think it's impossible for you this cycle, you are at a pretty big disadvantage because of the few schools you've applied to and how late you are.

Just my 0.02 on what schools to add at this point, but USC website says they take 75% of their class after December. I'd also look at NYU/Tufts because of their ginormous class sizes (and Tufts is pretty late). Roseman might also be a good one. GL and hope this helps!

Where did you apply? Also, you only applied to 3 so that was kind of smart decision late in the cycle if you chose 3 good schools that are in your field of gpa etc. Its late but its not too late, and also, might as well give it a shot with the 3 you applied to already and if not, you can always apply next year. Don't worry we're all worrying.

Members don't see this ad :)

Did AADSAS have your transcripts by Sep 29? If you didn't then the school that has the Sep 30 deadline will not be considered complete and will not be considered.

dmdluffy, you are right. I'm disadvantaged for being late. I'm a Tennessee resident, so I applied to UTHSC(memphis), Meharry, and University of Louisville. I wanted to apply to UK but they require their applicant to take the DAT during their junior or the fall of their senior year..So it doesnt apply to me bc I already graduated in 2010. My DAT application was accepted today and will schedule to take the test on the 24th. I feel i'm so not ready but noway out of taking it in October since UTHSC extended the due date till the end of October.

BTown DDS, yes I sent my transcript in July and AADSAS got it already. Thank god my transcripts are not late at least :)