What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dradams

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like some opinions on my chances of getting into a med school and also any suggestions as to which schools I should apply.

I'm 32 years old (almost 33) and have been a high school AP Biology teacher and an adjunct instructor in Biology at a nearby community college for the past 5 years. I have two undergrad degrees, the first in Business from the University of Florida (not a very good GPA) and the second in Biology from Florida Atlantic University (graduated with Honors). I also have a Masters in Biology from Columbia University.

Overall undergrad GPA 3.0
Science GPA 3.84
Graduate GPA 3.0
Extensive research experience and teaching experience.

I'm planning on taking the MCAT in April and applying for the 2005 entering class.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Go for it! If you do well enough on the MCAT, you would definitely have a good shot.

I'm 32 with 2 degrees and I've had 2 careers. I'm headed to KCOM next year! :)

You sound like a good applicant. Do the best you can on the mcat, apply to as many schools as possible, and see what happens. DO schools like older applicants(or at least don't dislike older applicants).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouragement.

I think if you can get 26+ on the MCAT you should have a good chance...Also you might want to shadow a DO on your free time.

Thanks. I am planning on shadowing a couple of DO's soon actually.

I am 33.83 years old, this is career #2 (or so), first one was in the arts, similar GPA (though mine was the reverse of yours, with the higher overall and lower science).

You will do awesome. Better yet, you will be an excellent doctor because you already know how to teach.

I think medical schools in general, both DO and MD, are more welcoming to us old-timers than ever before, though I know that DO schools have a reputation for welcoming us most wholeheartedly.

Good luck.

sj

ps--my dad is a retired HS bio and chem teacher. I have the utmost respect for the work you do. Also, one of his colleagues got into medical school in her late 40s after 18 or so years of teaching HS chemistry. She is now a psych resident at a well-known hospital.

Just a side note. PCOMs class is very diverse in age. I am easliy one of the 4 or 5 youngest people in my class. I think it is amazing to be so intimately involved with these people in school and learn about their lives. Many of the older students have intersting stories to tell and usually have a different perspective than I do towards situations. Makes a nice combo when discussing patient cases and such.

I say go for it! Medicine is without a doubt the greatest calling and the most amazing thing a person could do with their life (maybe a bit biased :) ) If this is your calling, let nothing stand in the way.

The people who get the most help and have the easiest time getting into school are the ones who are confident and truly look at medicine as a passion, not just a career.

Good luck to you.

JPH

Thanks sophiejane and JPHazelton for the great encouragement.