"what are my chances?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GladifImakeit

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I noticed the pre-meds have a thread devoted to chances of acceptance to medical school. I think it would be swell if there were something similar regarding residency.

I would like to post my stats here and ask for an opinion about the match in terms of number and selection of programs to apply to, etc. I have a few advisers but no one in psychiatry. Please don't say anyone can match in psychiatry, because I think that is naive and unhelpful. I'll probably apply to 30-50 programs just to be safe, but nonetheless, sage advice is most welcome.

Thanks!

Okay, here are my stats. If this is the wrong forum, please direct me elsewhere. Please only post helpful replies.

Step 1 248 Step 2 255
School - one of the CA schools
Grades - 3rd year honors in psych and neuro only, otherwise pass with decent written evals; 4th year honors in ID and Pulm so far
EC/R - 1-2 pubs, 3 months of research, homeless clinic volunteer, some curricular work
PS - pretty strong I think

The bad
Incomplete in medicine subI - knee injury/depression, needed urgent surgery
took a year off
some physicianship issues as a 2nd year that I hope won't show up in the MSPE but I'm not sure
No LOR writers yet and no psych or medicine subIs completed yet
So, what are my chances? How many programs to rank? Am I competitive for UCSF? Thank you!!!

Finally, I am NOT trolling - I am really worried about not matching, justified or not.

You may have more luck posting in the psychiatry forum. And many of the specialty forums do have many, many WAMC threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand you are not trying to troll but looking at your stats and research you are extremely competitive for tons of specialties. You have the incomplete because of a medical condition. No one will hold that against you.

I hope you're picking psych because you love it and not just because that's the only thing you think you could match. If I remember correctly you loved obgyn. Your stats are far above avg for both. They're far above avg for most everything.

No one can predict how hard it is to stay in cali. Those programs are usually highly desired but you go to a cali school so that is a massive massive boost. Those schools are very regionally driven.

Anyway you're fine. Just finish your sub-i do a couple of pysch rotations and even an away at ucsf and get a few lor. You'll be more than fine.

Okay, here are my stats. If this is the wrong forum, please direct me elsewhere. Please only post helpful replies.

Step 1 248 Step 2 255
School - one of the CA schools
Grades - 3rd year honors in psych and neuro only, otherwise pass with decent written evals; 4th year honors in ID and Pulm so far
EC/R - 1-2 pubs, 3 months of research, homeless clinic volunteer, some curricular work
PS - pretty strong I think

The bad
Incomplete in medicine subI - knee injury/depression, needed urgent surgery
took a year off
some physicianship issues as a 2nd year that I hope won't show up in the MSPE but I'm not sure
No LOR writers yet and no psych or medicine subIs completed yet
So, what are my chances? How many programs to rank? Am I competitive for UCSF? Thank you!!!

Finally, I am NOT trolling - I am really worried about not matching, justified or not.

Your scores are excellent, and honoring both psych and neuro helps out your application. I don't know what "physicianship" issues means. Just stuff like being late to class? It isn't in your school's best interests to make you look bad, so if it was a minor issue that was resolved it shouldn't be a big deal. If you had professionalism problems that pretty much forced your year off that could be a bigger problem.

Also are you at an MD or DO school? Some programs tend to pass over DOs even if they are outstanding applicants (not very many), so take that into consideration.

I think you have a good shot at UCSF, although it's not a sure thing (people with great scores and a solid application sometimes don't make the cut at some of the top places). For matching somewhere, I am very confident you can. Outside of maybe four or five of the most competitive places in the United States I think you can take your pick of programs, and even at those most intensely competitive places you have a very good shot.

Get some solid letters, work hard on your Sub-I. I think you will be very happy with where you end up!

I noticed the pre-meds have a thread devoted to chances of acceptance to medical school. I think it would be swell if there were something similar regarding residency.

I would like to post my stats here and ask for an opinion about the match in terms of number and selection of programs to apply to, etc. I have a few advisers but no one in psychiatry. Please don't say anyone can match in psychiatry, because I think that is naive and unhelpful. I'll probably apply to 30-50 programs just to be safe, but nonetheless, sage advice is most welcome.

Thanks!

Well....it's true. Anyone can. And with your scores and number of programs, you will match. relax.