Status
Not open for further replies.

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Chance at US MD is zero. You could try intl MD schools, but the likelihood of finding a residency by the time you graduate is pretty much zero as well. If you truly want to be a physician you will need to spend time doing grade replacement and apply DO.

The bigger question is why do you think you'll be able to perform adequately in medical school, when it will be more difficult than undergrad?

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Posts like this crack me up. You have no chance for MD and it would probably take 5 years to go to a point where you would have chance while ignoring the fact that you need straight As and you pretty much have straight Cs, yet you are above DO schools.

Apr 17, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
To answer your question, the cause of the low GPA is not because of the rigor of the courses, but the personal issues that have occurred while being in school. During school, I have been homeless and have taken over the role of breadwinner for my family, which originally took place 3 years ago when I was 18. Now I am settling down and things are improving and I just finished the previous semester with a 4.0.
the fact that you went through so much hardship during undergrad will be taken into account, and you should give yourself a lot of credit for persevering through all that. however, a 2.1 ish GPA is way too low for MDs.

however, if you are able to get a year or two of excellent academic performance and score well on the MCAT, then it is possible that some med schools might be willing to overlook your undergrad performance, but i am not sure.

like others have said, a DO is probably a better option for you

Feb 8, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello Everyone,

I am currently in my fourth year of Undergrad and I currently have a 2.126 GPA. I am really struggling with balancing my tumultuous home life with being a successful college student. I am looking to attend a MD school (not open to the DO option), but I am really unsure of what I need to analyze to get a full glimpse of any chance that I may have at getting into a school. Feel free to offer advice or add criticisms. All thoughts will be taken into account.
4th year at a 2.1 cGPA, you're best bet as stated is DO and grade replacements. It will take another 4 years of good grades to even be acceptable for MD schools and even then, you will still need a very good MCAT score. I'm not saying its not possible, I'm had a similar situation as you but with way less credits.....

After 4 years with a 2.1 GPA it will not be cost effective to get the MD, by the time your done, you could be already practicing and treating patients with the DO.

That being said you have a lot of work to do...

Last edited:

katty

Angry Bird
Feb 12, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi guys am about asking the same question about whether I have a chance or not ( for MD not DO) . I im a Junior, Overall GPA 3.56, I got B+ in both Gen Chem 1 & 2 ( she wasn't a good teacher !) I hate that excuse though! A in Biology , A in Microbiology, Bs in calc 1 & 2 & couple of A in social science classes, I started attending the Uni. last semester & didn't do well in Bio 2 (Ecology) I ended up getting C, now im taking genetics along with other upper level classes & I think im gonna end up getting C, or B- (the highest grade I can get since we have 4 exams & I already failed the 1st one). Can anyone tell me whether I need to retake it or not? I can't withdraw the class cuz I already have a W grade on my transcript. Any help would be appreciated.

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
Hi guys am about asking the same question about whether I have a chance or not ( for MD not DO) . I im a Junior, Overall GPA 3.56, I got B+ in both Gen Chem 1 & 2 ( she wasn't a good teacher !) I hate that excuse though! A in Biology , A in Microbiology, Bs in calc 1 & 2 & couple of A in social science classes, I started attending the Uni. last semester & didn't do well in Bio 2 (Ecology) I ended up getting C, now im taking genetics along with other upper level classes & I think im gonna end up getting C, or B- (the highest grade I can get since we have 4 exams & I already failed the 1st one). Can anyone tell me whether I need to retake it or not? I can't withdraw the class cuz I already have a W grade on my transcript. Any help would be appreciated.
You should start your own thread. That way you will get answers to your specific situation. It doesn't seem like you have anything in common with the OP. Good luck

Filet Mignon
Jan 26, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
To answer your question, the cause of the low GPA is not because of the rigor of the courses, but the personal issues that have occurred while being in school. During school, I have been homeless and have taken over the role of breadwinner for my family, which originally took place 3 years ago when I was 18. Now I am settling down and things are improving and I just finished the previous semester with a 4.0.
Many people have went through hardships that are applying. My life was not exactly one of flowers and butterflies and I applied for 3 cycles with an AMCAS cgpa: 3.1 sgpa: 2.8. I am confident to say that the rest of my app would be competive at a majority of schools in the country..but it doesn't matter because of the GPA. They do factor in hardships, but ther are just too few spots available to just hand it to someone out of pity.

If you are interested in becoming a doctor, DO seems to be your only option. Unless you move to Texas and take advantage of that fresh start program. So for now, every year you don't consider DO school is another year of physician salary gone..just sayin.

Aug 23, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
It seems like you already have your mind set. I'm not sure what you were looking for when you posted on SDN, but I don't think it's here.

Good luck with your path.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Hello Everyone,

I am currently in my fourth year of Undergrad and I currently have a 2.126 GPA. I am really struggling with balancing my tumultuous home life with being a successful college student. I am looking to attend a MD school (not open to the DO option), but I am really unsure of what I need to analyze to get a full glimpse of any chance that I may have at getting into a school. Feel free to offer advice or add criticisms. All thoughts will be taken into account.
You're not even close to competitive for MD.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
You should have taken a break from school until you got your life settled. You can't use it as a 3 years running excuse. It's your fault for not knowing your limitations and not getting your priorities straight. Plus tons of applicants have tons of hardship and still manage a respectable gpa. Your dream is to be an MD? With your gpa you have no shot at that dream

Your gpa is abysmal, and every adcom in the country will judge you because of it. It's part of the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 16, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hey BJ,

Dont listen to the naysayers. I made it into med school with a 2.0 23MCAT. You just have to be open to some special circumstances.
Do you speak spanish? Because if you do you can apply to my med school. Its Ponce Medical school in Puerto Rico. Thats your best chance for medical school in the USA

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Hey BJ,

Dont listen to the naysayers. I made it into med school with a 2.0 23MCAT. You just have to be open to some special circumstances.
Do you speak spanish? Because if you do you can apply to my med school. Its Ponce Medical school in Puerto Rico. Thats your best chance for medical school in the USA
:rolleyes:

Feb 16, 2013
Status
Medical Student
:rolleyes:

Dont mind this guy either. What would he know about med school? He's going podiatry anyway.

Ponce is accredited by the LCME so its a US medical school. Sure its not the most competitive one but you'd get an MD, and you wont be weeded out by your GPA before they even take a look at your PS. Which would unfortunately be the case for you. Most state-side MD schools have cut offs at 3.0, so even though you have an amazing story they will never get to hear it because it will be an automatic rejection. Take a look at ponce, really its a great option for you.

http://www.psm.edu/

Best of luck.

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dont mind this guy either. What would he know about med school? He's going podiatry anyway.

Ponce is accredited by the LCME so its a US medical school. Sure its not the most competitive one but you'd get an MD, and you wont be weeded out by your GPA before they even take a look at your PS. Which would unfortunately be the case for you. Most state-side MD schools have cut offs at 3.0, so even though you have an amazing story they will never get to hear it because it will be an automatic rejection. Take a look at ponce, really its a great option for you.

Best of luck.
He's admitted to a US MD school (not in PR), so save the attitude and condescension.

@OP, you asked for advice and honest answers were given. Sorry it's not what you wanted to hear.

Feb 16, 2013
Status
Medical Student
He's admitted to a US MD school (not in PR), so save the attitude and condescension.

@OP, you asked for advice and honest answers were given. Sorry it's not what you wanted to hear.
Because I was the one with an attitude... right. Well its just fine to give honest answers. Just respect everyone's while you're at it.

sterlingh87

Future Two-Hat Doc
5+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2012
Utah
Status
Medical Student

Best of luck.
He just listed himself as pre-pod as a joke I think.

I didn't realize PR had LCME accredited programs. Why don't more people go there than the carribean. Seems like a pretty viable option to me, but I know nothing about it.

Jan 9, 2013
Status
Medical Student
He just listed himself as pre-pod as a joke I think.

I didn't realize PR had LCME accredited programs. Why don't more people go there than the carribean. Seems like a pretty viable option to me, but I know nothing about it.

I think you have to be fluent in Spanish to have a decent chance for a PR SOM. I don't know if the classes are taught in Spanish. I don't know if a student should have some ties to PR as well.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
If I'm not mistaken ponce does one interview in Spanish and classes are taught in Spanish?

ReeseC

5+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2012
Status
Medical Student
All four PR medical schools are LCME accredited. Some on probation, like some mainland schools. I just had interviews there and I chose to speak primarily Spanish. I would throw in english if I needed to. The class lectures are bilingual and all tests and texts are english. Obviously, everything clinical is in Spanish. I only applied to PR programs because I wanted to do a bilingual program.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Chances are zero. You have yet to show that you're a successful college student.

Suggest getting everything about your home life straigtened out, work on coping skills, and then look into an SMP.

Having a single 4.0 semester is not going to save your application, nor would LORs from Nobel laureates.

Hello Everyone,

Last edited:

Omppu27

El Tiburon
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2011
Pawnee, Indiana
Status
Medical Student
Chances are zero. You have yet to show that you're a successful college student.

Suggest getting everything about your home life straigtened out, work on coping skills, and then look into an SMP.

Having a single 4.0 semester is not going to save your application, nor would LORs from Nobel laureates.
Yeah, i'd say try aiming on getting into an SMP instead of trying to get into an MD straight from undergrad.

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status
Hello Everyone,

Keeping it real here, my friend. Your chances to US MD = 0%. Chances for DO = 0%. Chances for Caribbean big 4 = 0%. You're simply not qualified to enter the medical profession, and even if you do make it into one of the lesser known Caribbean colleges, please, for the love of god, don't go. You'll simply end up accruing debt and never become a doctor.

In most cases I recommend people with low GPA to consider post-bacc or even alternative careers such as optometry, podiatry, etc. In your case, the GPA is simply too low. The only viable alternative is an allied health career like Respiratory Therapy or Nursing from a community college. If you do an ASN, you could potentially work your way up to an NP degree.

Welcome to the real world.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
It has nothing to do with what I wanted to hear. I posted it for advice, not to hear a bunch of people who may not even be in medical schools themselves tell someone they have no chance. All the attitudes are unwarranted. When you write, your words take a tone and its unnecessary because none of your or perfect and do not hold the fate of my future medical career in your hands. Regardless of statistics, I will do whatever is possible to succeed.

For all the individuals posting in a negative manner, what was your path to medical school? What contributions have you made to medicine or the lives of others? They way you all post would make someone believe you all are doctors already. So please enlighten us with your particular journey to achieving your goals.

I appreciate the guy from Ponce that actually provided some encouraging words instead of being negative.
Pretty sure you said all posts would be taken into consideration. Your GPA is abysmal and you have no shot at MD. The truth hurts sometimes.

I promise you there are people with respectable stats and an even better underdog story than you. That is the nature of medical school applications and it's something you have to accept.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Why are you being obnoxious? All advice and criticisms would be taken into account, not posts attempting to discourage others by being impudent. You have to be suffering from intense boredom. Tell us about your success and I will accept your opinion. If you feel like you don't want to share, don't continue posting. It's simple.
My story is probably moderately well known on sdn. Upward trend, improved mcat, urm, applied broadly and early, several wait lists, accepted.

I'm not sure why knowing my story makes my opinion more (or less) valuable to you. It's irrelevant to your situation.

Life of the Party!
Aug 9, 2012
Inside a black hole
Hello Everyone,

Sorry, but you have zero chance of getting into a US MD.

Hey BJ,

:troll:

Best of luck.
Man, you're so naive. :smack:

Why are you being obnoxious? All advice and criticisms would be taken into account, not posts attempting to discourage others by being impudent. You have to be suffering from intense boredom. Tell us about your success and I will accept your opinion. If you feel like you don't want to share, don't continue posting. It's simple.
What MedPR said was correct. Sorry man, but you don't stand a chance in US MD schools or even DO schools (not sure why you have a superiority complex in this). Take several years off, complete a post-bacc and try to bump your GPA to 3.5 before applying (although it will be rather impossible in your case).

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OP i don't understand why you sit here and you say "all of you negative people are unnecessary" yet you turn around and ask for all advice and criticism. and the people you are against are right. so how about this:

hey man, welcome to the forum. you can definitely do it. it is totally up to you how bad you want it. understand that since you aren't interested in DO schools which do grade replacement, you are going to need to bring your gpa to a somewhat competitive range. this would be about 3.3 in order to be competitive for MD schools which is about 185 more hours at a 4.0. you can do it.

we can fluff it up all you want but the reality is that your application won't even get eyes to read any kind of story you have. and even if you have a great story, there are 100 more applicants with a great story AND the grades to back it up. so if you want to put in another 5 years in order to be considered for MD schools, by all means it is possible. but understand that it is going to take that long because compared to other students, your story isn't deep and profound.

i came to med school as a semi truck driver with hardships, kids, awesome experiences, etc. but when i get to med school i realized that my story isn't all that incredible. unique yes, but not amazing. and your story is the same. it may not be what you want to hear, but it is the way it is.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
After a a little over a week, I have decided to just end my time on this site. I still have time before I graduate because of my program at the University. This was just a waste of time. Fortunately, some posts were beneficial (DO school alternative, SMPs, Post-Bac), but some of you guys are insolent clowns that would never address someone in the rude manner in which you did if you were speaking with me in person rather than behind a screen. Remember to respect everyone's story and understand that you have no idea what has happened to them in their life. bless. Thank you and good luck to you all.
Asking for chances at matriculation is not the same as asking for people to hold your hand.

I hope you learn to accept criticism in whatever profession you choose.

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status
After a a little over a week, I have decided to just end my time on this site. I still have time before I graduate because of my program at the University. This was just a waste of time. Fortunately, some posts were beneficial (DO school alternative, SMPs, Post-Bac), but some of you guys are insolent clowns that would never address someone in the rude manner in which you did if you were speaking with me in person rather than behind a screen. Remember to respect everyone's story and understand that you have no idea what has happened to them in their life. bless. Thank you and good luck to you all.
The last 2 posts you made are rather sad. I can see that you want to try, badly. However, reality can get in the way of that. 4 years of a 2.1 GPA has made enough damage that you need to accept that some doors are simply closed to you. Sure, some people can tell you that post-bacc, smp or other things can help, but the truth of the matter is many of us have actually walked that walk with even harsher circumstances than yours and can tell you that your efforts through that would likely be fruitless.

Yes, medical school accounts for hardship, but also medical school is not a charity. Every single person who has made it from hardship has done so by proving themselves at some point and have climbed beyond the minimum expectations bar (3.0). None of them have gotten in just by having the best sob story out there.

A career in medicine will simply not happen for you. Either you accept it now or later on, but that doesn't mean you can't be a productive member of society. As for the "attitude," I would strongly recommend you to grow some thick skin. Medicine is full of that attitude.

GLaDOS

She has a medical degree. In fashion! From France!
Dec 31, 2012
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Just being curious...why exactly does the OP have no chance at DO? I get he wasn't interested, but wouldn't grade replacement theoretically make him somewhat competitive?

Is it just his sh!tty attitude that warranted the mild attack? I'm so lost.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Why are you still posting? You're being a bit of an ass now. I didn't ask for someone to hold my hand. I asked for respectful advice. Have a good day man.
Everyone gave respectful advice. Your posts are the only disrespectful ones.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
What attitude man? I have not said anything negative to anyone.
Orly?

Why are you still posting? You're being a bit of an ass now. I didn't ask for someone to hold my hand. I asked for respectful advice. Have a good day man.

Life of the Party!
Aug 9, 2012
Inside a black hole
Name-calling and insults = :nono::sendoff:

Do what you want. We helped you but if you detested our advice, feel free to go about your way.

Life of the Party!
Aug 9, 2012
Inside a black hole
Just being curious...why exactly does the OP have no chance at DO? I get he wasn't interested, but wouldn't grade replacement theoretically make him somewhat competitive?

You're right about the unprofessional attitude of OP. OP has a superiority complex (Dunning-Kruger Effect) over DO schools despite his very poor academic performance. Grade replacement will only help him to some extent but it isn't enough.

GLaDOS

Dec 31, 2012
Status
What attitude man? I have not said anything negative to anyone.
Lady here.

And this place pounces on the slightest show of weakness. True story.

I'm sure you weren't expecting the responses you got & while some seemed unduly harsh, the reality is your road to medical school is not going to be made any easier just because you've had a rough past. In fact, it'll just make it that much more difficult. The sooner you realize that, the better.

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status

A 2.1 is simply not competitive for any DO school in the country. Grade replacement could help someone like this greatly, but by grade replacement he'll basically have to do half-to-his-entire undergraduate again. How do you think this looks for ADCOMS? You need to do everything twice to get a decent GPA? It looks terrible. Anyone can get an "A" in biology if they have 2 chances at it. He'd have to add another year (30+ units) of brand new coursework to begin to settle those doubts. Sure, theoretically you can invest all this time and money and get it, but how likely is it in practice to do this?

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
A 2.1 is simply not competitive for any DO school in the country. Grade replacement could help someone like this greatly, but by grade replacement he'll basically have to do half-to-his-entire undergraduate again. How do you think this looks for ADCOMS? You need to do everything twice to get a decent GPA? It looks terrible. Anyone can get an "A" in biology if they have 2 chances at it. He'd have to add another year (30+ units) of brand new coursework to begin to settle those doubts. Sure, theoretically you can invest all this time and money and get it, but how likely is it in practice to do this?
Some holes are simply dug too deep.

Life of the Party!
Aug 9, 2012
Inside a black hole
Lady here.

And this place pounces on the slightest show of weakness. True story.

I'm sure you weren't expecting the responses you got & while some seemed unduly harsh, the reality is your road to medical school is not going to be made any easier just because you've had a rough past. In fact, it'll just make it that much more difficult. The sooner you realize that, the better.
Your second sentence is wrong. We help in all cases, but if OP responds with snide remarks, it's going to aggravate the situation.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Your second sentence is wrong. We help in all cases, but if OP responds with snide remarks, it's going to aggravate the situation.
Agreed. SDN was highly helpful when I did a wamc last year.

GLaDOS

Dec 31, 2012
Status
Eh, not really. I'm using the word weakness broadly.

People are extremely quick to pick apart the negative aspects of potential applicants and rarely give 2nd chances when deflated OPs get flustered & react poorly.

The site is definitely helpful, but it's also pretty brutal. The kid was homeless and sounds like he's got a guardian possibly in jail. He's obviously a bit messed up & probably has a skewed perception of reality. I know it's nobody's job to hold his hand or be a mentor and offer guidance or whatever, but some of this came off as kicking him when he's already down.

sector9

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
What is your MCAT score? What are your EC's?

In the past three years, over 200 people have applied with a GPA in your range and only 4 of them have been accepted. The harsh reality is that it will take a miracle to be accepted as your GPA will get you screened out at a lot of places, even with stellar ECs, a great MCAT, and other mitigating factors.

Dires

Banned
7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Get your GPA over 3.0 somehow.
Score above a 31.

You'll need some things to go your way.

Don't underestimate the financial burden. This could cost you thousands.

sobored

5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I like to surf this site from time to time and this caught my attention. I wanted to provide some reality and hope, but I'll make it quick.

OP, the path will be long and painful. Schools want to be sure that you can handle the insane amount of coursework required to competently practice medicine. I graduated college a long time ago with a 2.4 GPA. Took the MCAT over and over again (back in the paper days when you still had only 2 shots per year to take it and the best I got was a 21. I, like you, had a compelling story that really impacted my school and life in general. Anyways, I didn't give up, and sometime after I graduated I went back to undergrad, took insane course loads for a year and half (all upper division science courses) and worked my GPA up to a 3.0. During the span of 5 years post undergrad, I worked my butt off to re-learn EVERYTHING, from the core pre-med science courses to the upper division courses. Took the MCAT after it was all said and done, scored a 32 (after several scored attempts much earlier). Anyways, right now I'm an MS2 at a highly ranked US MD school.

I didn't know about DO schools at the time - never used the site back in the day (I'm a non trad if you couldn't tell). But it is a good option that would've likely saved me a couple of years from the rebuilding process.

Anyways, the key is that you must be able to show you can handle medical school (not only the work, but the emotional baggage people develop while in there). Good luck, I hope it works out.

911 Turbo

middle schooler aspiring doctor
Removed
Account on Hold
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2010
mars
Status
Medical Student
I like to surf this site from time to time and this caught my attention. I wanted to provide some reality and hope, but I'll make it quick.

OP, the path will be long and painful. Schools want to be sure that you can handle the insane amount of coursework required to competently practice medicine. I graduated college a long time ago with a 2.4 GPA. Took the MCAT over and over again (back in the paper days when you still had only 2 shots per year to take it and the best I got was a 21. I, like you, had a compelling story that really impacted my school and life in general. Anyways, I didn't give up, and sometime after I graduated I went back to undergrad, took insane course loads for a year and half (all upper division science courses) and worked my GPA up to a 3.0. During the span of 5 years post undergrad, I worked my butt off to re-learn EVERYTHING, from the core pre-med science courses to the upper division courses. Took the MCAT after it was all said and done, scored a 32 (after several scored attempts much earlier). Anyways, right now I'm an MS2 at a highly ranked US MD school.

I didn't know about DO schools at the time - never used the site back in the day (I'm a non trad if you couldn't tell). But it is a good option that would've likely saved me a couple of years from the rebuilding process.

Anyways, the key is that you must be able to show you can handle medical school (not only the work, but the emotional baggage people develop while in there). Good luck, I hope it works out.
What

Are you telling me that you're a white applicant with a 3.0 gpa who is attending a top 10?

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry

3.0/32 white kid at a top US school? Ok brah

sobored

5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What

Are you telling me that you're a white applicant with a 3.0 gpa who is attending a top 10?
What's ur Nobel prize in?
Funny. Yeah, 3.0 science and cumulative, now at a top 20 (not sure where you got top 10 from).

And I guess you could say I have a pretty good story/app/other accomplishments. Although at my school everyone seems extraordinary. Point of my story is, it can be done, but it will really test your resolve to get there.

Also, you can choose whether or not to believe me. I just thought I'd post something inspirational...don't really know why I'd make something like this up but whatever, it's the truth.

Reactions: The_Juggernaut
Status
Not open for further replies.