Dec 5, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Any advice on how I could improve my application over the next 5 months would be appreciated!

My current GPA is a 3.81 (Including non-science classes) Here are my science grades.

Bio 181 A
Bio 181 Lab A

Bio 182 A
Bio 182 Lab A

Medical Physiology B
Medical Physiology Lab A

Microbiology A-
Microbiology Lab A

Human Gross Anatomy and Dissection A-

Applied Nutrition A

Gen Chem 1 A
Gen Chem 1 Lab A

Gen Chem 2 A
Gen Chem 2 Lab A-

Genetics B

Biomedical Statistics A-

Ochem 1 B
Ochem 1 Lab A

Ochem 2 B
Ochem 2 Lab A-

I am currently taking Physics 1 and I should get A's in lecture and the lab!

The only science classes that I have left are patho and biochem. All of my non-science grades like Sociology, Psychology and Healthcare classes are A's.

My first two years of college I played college tennis for a Division 2 team that was ranked top 10 in the nation. I decided not the play Junior year because the team was getting stronger and I want to focus on school. Hopefully being a college athlete will look good! I also play intramural basketball and will be playing intramural soccer. Is that appropriate to put on an application?

I currently work in a cadaver lab at my school where I give presentations to 100s of people at a time. The hours are limited because there are not tours everyday. By the time I apply, I should have about 75 hours of working in there. I did very well in the course and I know almost everything about anatomy. My other work experience involves giving tennis lessons and working for my dad's business. His business is hands on labor.

Over the summer after my Sophomore year I shadowed a PA for family practice, a PA or an orthopedic surgeon and a family nurse practitioner in pain management. I have the hours logged and it is about 80 total hours. I mostly observed, but I did help with the patients a little bit. I saw a lot of different things. I am also going to shadow a gastrointestinal doctor over the next few months.

Up to my Junior year I only have about 10 hours of volunteering. I have been volunteering at a clinic for people without health insurance as a "nurse". (I do stuff that MAs do though) The patients pay a small fee to go there. I take the patients back, get their vitals, clean rooms, do labs, and I have also been taught how to prepare injections. My friend who volunteers there says that he has given a few injections so I am assuming I will do that as well! 90% of the patients are Spanish speakers so I have learned important medical words in Spanish. I do not speak Spanish fluently, but I know enough to communicate with the patients. By the time I apply I will have over 100 hours at this clinic.

Something interesting about me is that I am a popular Youtuber with over 65,000 subscribers and close to 10,000,000 video views. I do the channel with my brother and a friend, and we make some pretty good money. This is something that is VERY different and when I tell adults about it they think it is pretty awesome. We are running a business in a way.

I will take the MCAT in the summer and I am aiming for the low 30s. I am going to buy the Berkeley review books and study for 3 months. I plan on taking it either July 25th or 26th.

Lastly, I am a white male and when I apply I will be 21. If I get accepted my first time applying, I would be 22 entering med school. I want to go to an MD school, but I'll be applying to DO schools too.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions on how I could improve will be appreciated!

OneTwoThreeFour

5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you take it in late July, the scores won't be posted til August. That would make you a pretty late applicant in the cycle. Just FYI

C

Caveman7

I think you should look into finding a lab or clinical research and increase your clinical involvement. You should plan to take your MCAT earlier or take a year off imo. I would advise against applying late into the cycle.

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
5+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
If you take it in late July, the scores won't be posted til August. That would make you a pretty late applicant in the cycle. Just FYI
Not necessarily. If he submits his AMCAS before his test date, he should have it verified before his scores come out (the process can take anywhere from a few days to six weeks). OP will still need to submit to one school to get it verified. After he gets his scores back, he can add more schools and it will only take a couple of weeks for the schools to get his app.

OP
S
Dec 5, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I have thought about this. Rather than taking it the 25th or 26th would it make a significant difference if I took it on the 13th?

JohnFe

Paranoid Member
Dec 2, 2012
SoCal
Status
Pre-Medical
We are about the same age and you are in a better shape than me. Just do more volunteering. ~
Good luck!

May 11, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Shadow doctors.
26+ for DO, a LOR from a DO would help too
30+ for MD

Apply in June sometime to one school, get verified, then once your score comes in add other schools and you'll be set.

Take the MCAT earlier if at all possible. If you get a lousy result in July you are out of time to retake. This is why people should take it in the spring or better yet, in January.

OP
S
Dec 5, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Shadow doctors.
26+ for DO, a LOR from a DO would help too
30+ for MD

Apply in June sometime to one school, get verified, then once your score comes in add other schools and you'll be set.

Take the MCAT earlier if at all possible. If you get a lousy result in July you are out of time to retake. This is why people should take it in the spring or better yet, in January.
Yes, my plan is to apply in June so that I am verified! More than likely I am going to be taking the MCAT in mid July still so that I can have 3 months of hard studying. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Feb 4, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I want to know if masters are gonna improve my chances for getting into DO or MD schools? I have currently GPA of 3.4 and no hands on experience except the fact that i worked for a pediatrician as a receptionist and volunteered about 50 hours..i have not taken my MCAT yet so I am not sure if i should apply this year..i need some major help!!! please help me! Meanwhile I was thinking of doing an EMT course over fall or do masters to improve my GPA and take MCATs next year...what do you guys suggest???