What are my choices?

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by joshua_msu, Oct 24, 2002.

1. joshua_msu

joshua_msu Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have a 3.4 gpa and a 25 mcat. I am applying to both osteopathic and allopathic schools in the us. i am also taking into consideration the worst case scenario, i dont get in anywhere. i have heard from my sister, who is an md, about auc. some of her friends attended there and now work in her same hospital. i dont hear alot about auc on this forum, its mostly about ross and st georges. i was wondering, is auc a quality foreign school, comparible to ross or st georges. also, i was wondering, assuming grades are great in the carribbean, is it likely to be able to trasfer to a us medical school?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MD Dreams

MD Dreams Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Your stats are very similar to mine. I would say you are still in the competitive range but on the lower side. It is wise that you are applying to both MD and OD, as long as you don't mind having an OD after your name (a personal choice).

As far as going to a Caribbean school is concerned, here is my opinion. Going to a Caribbean school already puts you at a disadvantage -- not in terms of the education you will get, but in terms of the stigma and the residency opportunities you will have in the future. Therefore, my belief is that you should choose the school that has the best reputation. You may get an excellent education at Ross and SABA and the other schools, however, I believe I'm correct to say that SGU has the best reputation -- its admission standars, although somewhat lower than US standars, are higher than the other Caribbean schools. And it's been around for 25 years. This will give you an advantage come residency time.

You shouldn't lose hope. Make sure you have health care experience, research experience, and whatever else makes your app stronger. If you didn't take a prep course for MCAT, consider it.

I, personally, tried three times to get into a US school. Came pretty close (6th on the waiting list). But I guess it was not meant to be. However, I'll be starting med school at SGU in Jan, and am very excited and thankful. Believe it or not, I'm looking forward to learning all that material. If you really want it, you will obtain it, but the road may be very difficult. This however, will build character, and perhaps, make you a much better doctor.

I wish you the best.

Me!

4. getin

getin Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am considering AUC too, I know few AUC graduates doing their residency in one of the top hospitals here! It is not easy pathway to get MD. If I were u I would go to DO schools

5. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would mind having "OD" after my name, unless I wanted to be an optometrist. I think you mean "DO".

6. NURSEDOC

NURSEDOC Junior Member

Just out of curiosity, how are you SGU students affording it? I would love to attend but even WITH loans on top of my savings it is $$$$$ however my savings will cover auc, saba, and mua. Any advice?

Erika:love:

7. Stephen Ewen

10+ Year Member

8. pioneer research

pioneer research Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

MD Dreams. I really wish you and others who automatically bash the Caribbean schools would actually do some homework. I work in clinical research conducting drug trials for pharmaceutical companies and I know about 10-15 docs who have graduated from a Caribbean school. Not ONE of them had anything negative to say about their respective schools and they ALL stated that the hype about Caribbean schools being a disadvantage is GROSSLY overstated. Here is the truth...yes, the more competitive residencies are certainly more difficult to get (even for the American grads) but once you pass step 3, NOBODY cares! You are a board-certified physician, period. You have the same qualifications as the Harvard grad next to you, as you both had to take and pass the same steps 1,2 and 3. The other truth is that almost all of the negativity associated with Caribbean med schools is started and propagated by STUDENTS! Grow up and stop trampling on others dreams.

To those of you who are considering a Caribbean school, go for it! Just ask your local doctors about the negativity...do not ask students. You'll see.

9. doctamon

doctamon Member
    7+ Year Member

Actually, I think MD Dreams just said that they are happy to be going to SGU in January. It's not bad to be skeptical as long as you don't let it stop you from going forward.

We are witnessing a quiet revolution. There are well over 20, 000 Americans who received their medical education abroad practicing medicine in the US. There will be more and more. Keep in mind that graduates from schools like Meharry and Finch are looked down upon by some (un-enlightened) individuals.

Do what you have to do. Remember that you, not some joker on an internet forum, is footing the bill.;)

10. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Be as objective as possible in your decision. And, I agree 100% with everything that Pioneer Research has said. DO or MD, wherever you get them, will mean nothing until you prove yourself on the wards. Becoming a doctor is a long, LONG process that doesn't start or end with a particular school you went to or where you did your residency. You have to be committed to lifelong learning.

Now, many SGU and Ross (and I'm sure a lot of AUC) grads do indeed get competitive residencies. Check their websites. Nonetheless, I think it was expertly pointed out that the top choices are even tough to get among U.S. grads. Some schools will, however, flat out refuse to even entertain applications from IMGs. Is that right or wrong? Who knows. But, it's a fact. Likewise, if you have dreams of orthopedics, dermatology, ENT, or some other very top residencies, you might want to wait it out and reapply to a U.S. school. It will be very hard if not impossible to get one of those spots coming from the Caribbean. About 70% of Ross grads go either Internal Medicine or FP. I think the same is true, more or less, for the other Carib schools.

Lastly, before you decide to go ANYWHERE outside the U.S. as a U.S. citizen, you should read every single word on this website:

http://www.aaimg.com/

This will help to put a lot of perspective on your decision and choice about where to go. (N.B.: I know that they need to update their information on St. Matthews, which has relocated to Grand Cayman and has gotten a lot of their deficiencies straightened out. I have sent them an e-mail regarding this.)

Good luck whatever you choose.

-Skip Intro
    MS2 Ross University
    Portsmouth, Dominica

P.S. Currently, in our third semester class now on the island, there are 4-5 SGU students who transferred here. From what I understand, they did so because they did not want the chance of having to go to England to do some of their clinicals. Not saying that's good or bad or anything else; it's just meant to be information.