What are my current chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Artimacia

can do stuff real good
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying in June. I want to see what my chances are, but I am waiting on my MCAT scores now. My GPA is 3.7 and my sGPA is 3.5. I have, in total, a year worth of research and am continuing for another year. I hope that my ECs will help make up for my lack of a lot of clinical hours. I had to take a break this semester, so so far I have 80 clinical hours, and I've also only shadowed one MD. I'm hoping in May I can volunteer more again and shadow more doctors. My ECs in detail are here: http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=10539

Currently, without my MCAT score, what should I keep on my list and what should I take off? BTW, I have strong ties to Kentucky and South Carolina. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
there is no in general. if you like score below an 8 on any section for example you pretty much disqualify yourself from most Allopathic schools or make it very difficult for yourself.

maybe another way to approach this is by giving us your average test score on practice tests which we'll assume for now is what you're going to get.

there is no in general. if you like score below an 8 on any section for example you pretty much disqualify yourself from most Allopathic schools or make it very difficult for yourself.

maybe another way to approach this is by giving us your average test score on practice tests which we'll assume for now is what you're going to get.

I was scoring about a 28-30

Last edited:
I'll bite...take Baylor, Colorado, WUSL, Mayo, Vanderbilt, Duke, Columbia, Cleveland Clinic off your list unless you get a 40 and/or your research cures cancer (I know--hyperbole, but you get the idea). I just skimmed your MDapps, so that list is probably rough. If your score is 28 or lower, apply DO if you're interested in that. If you have less than 8 on a section, retake or DO (still potentially iffy). This applies even if you get a 32 with a 7 section score.

You can get a good idea for this stuff if you use the LizzyM school selector--it's good stuff. You can plug in hypothetical MCAT scores to see how your list should be adjusted. Good luck.

I'll bite...take Baylor, Colorado, WUSL, Mayo, Vanderbilt, Duke, Columbia, Cleveland Clinic off your list unless you get a 40 and/or your research cures cancer (I know--hyperbole, but you get the idea). I just skimmed your MDapps, so that list is probably rough. If your score is 28 or lower, apply DO if you're interested in that. If you have less than 8 on a section, retake or DO (still potentially iffy). This applies even if you get a 32 with a 7 section score.

You can get a good idea for this stuff if you use the LizzyM school selector--it's good stuff. You can plug in hypothetical MCAT scores to see how your list should be adjusted. Good luck.

Thanks, I went ahead and took them off just to take a look at it. I'll plug in and look of the selector as well.

Where are you a resident of?

Florida

I just hope I can try to get in more hopsital hours, but wit everything I had to finish this semester, it really hurt. I guess I just have to apply really early and hope.