What are my fellow new interns to be starting out with?

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by mommy2three, 05.17.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. mommy2three

mommy2three PGY-1 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So after four weeks of orientation in July I get thrown in to four weeks of emergency medicine followed by peds and OB
    I have to say I am a bit nervous about starting with emergency since I have not done a lot of advanced procedures beyond sewing up a lac and have a feeling there is going to be a very steep learning curve
    What is everyone else's schedule looking like?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. teacherman84

teacherman84 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Air Force
    2 busy months on inpatient service followed by a little time off when my 3rd baby is due

SuckySurgeon7 and mommy2three like this.
  4. KnuxNole

KnuxNole Sweets Addict 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I did my EM month without doing ANY procedures in medical school, and it was fine. You are in a better position being that this is your first rotation in residency, and the attendings will know that. If there are procedures, the attendings will have you watch and teach alongside, and after one or two, will let you get in on the action. And, coming from someone who sucks at procedures, it is not too bad to learn the basic ones with lots of practice.

mommy2three likes this.
  5. manillabar

manillabar

Resident [Any Field]
    I start with OB in july... both really excited and really nervous lol... at least we'll all be new interns at that point

mommy2three likes this.

About the ads