What are my fellow new interns to be starting out with?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three

PGY-1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after four weeks of orientation in July I get thrown in to four weeks of emergency medicine followed by peds and OB
I have to say I am a bit nervous about starting with emergency since I have not done a lot of advanced procedures beyond sewing up a lac and have a feeling there is going to be a very steep learning curve
What is everyone else's schedule looking like?

Members don't see this ad.

So after four weeks of orientation in July I get thrown in to four weeks of emergency medicine followed by peds and OB
I have to say I am a bit nervous about starting with emergency since I have not done a lot of advanced procedures beyond sewing up a lac and have a feeling there is going to be a very steep learning curve
2 busy months on inpatient service followed by a little time off when my 3rd baby is due

Reactions: 1 users

I did my EM month without doing ANY procedures in medical school, and it was fine. You are in a better position being that this is your first rotation in residency, and the attendings will know that. If there are procedures, the attendings will have you watch and teach alongside, and after one or two, will let you get in on the action. And, coming from someone who sucks at procedures, it is not too bad to learn the basic ones with lots of practice.

Reactions: 1 user
I start with OB in july... both really excited and really nervous lol... at least we'll all be new interns at that point

Reactions: 1 user