MD What are my odds: a search for wisdom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greyshorts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm applying to M.D. schools right now and have no idea how good my chances are for acceptance. I've got a 3.12 GPA (both cumulative and science are roughly equivalent), and a 35 on my MCAT (11B, 10V, 14P). I was a physics major at TCNJ and actually just graduated from my school a year early after a lot of summer courses and AP credits. I'm not sure how much that affects my chances, or if it does at all. In this gap year I'm working a salary job at the hospital lab, and have been shadowing two doctors for 100+ hours the since summer began. I've also done a semester of physics research and plan to return to it at some point in January.

I know my GPA sucked, it came primarily from a rough freshmen year where I ended with a 2.7 so I've tried climbing out of it since. Physics diversity? Year early graduation? Good MCAT? I'm banking on entry to one of the Rutgers schools or Cooper (all IS). If someone could shed some light on an anxious soul, it'd be very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Despite all of the other factors and good MCAT, a 3.12 is nearing even statistical impossibility for non-URM, non-hook applicants. Consider a post-bacc.

Unless you are URM, ~45% of people who apply with your stats are accepted. Not the best odds, unfortunately. I think it would help if you applied after doing a post-bacc; 1 year of A's will help your GPA a lot. In your case I don't think graduating early is helping you, because you just have less courses that can increase your GPA. Excellent MCAT though.

I think your application would be helped tremendously if you waited 1 year, got more courses under your belt to improve your GPA, and worked on your activities.

If you MUST apply this year, then add all in-state schools, a lot of low-tiers, and DO schools.

Despite all of the other factors and good MCAT, a 3.12 is nearing even statistical impossibility for non-URM, non-hook applicants. Consider a post-bacc.

I wouldn't say "statistically impossible", because stats show that ~45% of non-URMs are accepted with his stats. But it isn't necessarily the best GPA to bet on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say "statistically impossible", because stats show that ~45% of non-URMs are accepted with his stats. But it isn't necessarily the best GPA to bet on.
Many low GPA acceptees will be non-trad, military, otherwise hooked, etc. A 3.12 cGPA will usually suggest a similar, if not probably lower sGPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you are URM, ~45% of people who apply with your stats are accepted. Not the best odds, unfortunately. I think it would help if you applied after doing a post-bacc; 1 year of A's will help your GPA a lot. In your case I don't think graduating early is helping you, because you just have less courses that can increase your GPA. Excellent MCAT though.

I think your application would be helped tremendously if you waited 1 year, got more courses under your belt to improve your GPA, and worked on your activities.

If you MUST apply this year, then add all in-state schools, a lot of low-tiers, and DO schools.

What's not included in these stats are SMPs and non trads with serious upward trends or other unique experiences and stories. Also many non trads with 3.1 GPAs will have higher science GPAs from taking their pre-reqs more recently. Also those who live in very lucky states influence this.

Bottom line 3.12 is really circling the drain for MDs regardless of MCAT. Post-bacc work or an SMP looks like it might be a good move. DO however can be realistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Can you give a year by year GPA?

On the surface, that GPA is lethal for MD schools, and a lot of DO schools as well. You may need to do a post-bac/SMP. For DO schools, retale all F/D/C coursework.

Hi everyone. I'm applying to M.D. schools right now and have no idea how good my chances are for acceptance. I've got a 3.12 GPA (both cumulative and science are roughly equivalent), and a 35 on my MCAT (11B, 10V, 14P). I was a physics major at TCNJ and actually just graduated from my school a year early after a lot of summer courses and AP credits. I'm not sure how much that affects my chances, or if it does at all. In this gap year I'm working a salary job at the hospital lab, and have been shadowing two doctors for 100+ hours the since summer began. I've also done a semester of physics research and plan to return to it at some point in January.

I know my GPA sucked, it came primarily from a rough freshmen year where I ended with a 2.7 so I've tried climbing out of it since. Physics diversity? Year early graduation? Good MCAT? I'm banking on entry to one of the Rutgers schools or Cooper (all IS). If someone could shed some light on an anxious soul, it'd be very much appreciated.

Can you give a year by year GPA?

On the surface, that GPA is lethal for MD schools, and a lot of DO schools as well. You may need to do a post-bac/SMP. For DO schools, retale all F/D/C coursework.

Freshmen: 2.7 (28 credit-hours) cGPA, 2.78 sGPA
Sophomore: 3.34 (49) cGPA, 3.2 sGPA
Junior: 3.17 (40) cGPA, 3.07 sGPA

The pre-med adviser at my school mentions in-state schools looking at TCNJ applicants' gpa with more leeway because they know how hard it is here. I really hope that's the case.

The pre-med adviser at my school mentions in-state schools looking at TCNJ applicants' gpa with more leeway because they know how hard it is here. I really hope that's the case.

Yeah I don't think it is a good idea to be applying with that trend. You have yet to demonstrate a year of strong GPA indicative of an MD matriculant. Ace this year, get the GPA up to 3.3 teritory and yes your GPA will still be an issue then but at least you'll have some kind of upward trend. A 3.3/35 is at least in the discussion for an MD acceptance particularly from a solid state to be applying from such as NJ(and I think Seton Hall will also be an option for you next year). 3.1/35 with a flat trend is just really hard to get behind and gyngyn often talks about a certain stigma of being a reapplicant at certain schools. If you can avoid being a reapplicant and applying when you have a better app(especially since you are only talking about taking 1 gap year) go ahead and do it. Again, this is all contingent on acing this year.

I still think you can be competitive for newer DO's with a broad list if you want to give it a go now.

Reactions: 1 user

MD is very unlikely, in all honesty.

Don't count on school rep, even MIT/Berkeley/WashU/UChicago applicants won't get the benefit of the doubt with a 3.1/3.0

Take a good post-bacc, get a 4.0 (or close to it), and then apply. GPA is basically the only thing holding you back.

Many low GPA acceptees will be non-trad, military, otherwise hooked, etc. A 3.12 cGPA will usually suggest a similar, if not probably lower sGPA.
What's not included in these stats are SMPs and non trads with serious upward trends or other unique experiences and stories. Also many non trads with 3.1 GPAs will have higher science GPAs from taking their pre-reqs more recently. Also those who live in very lucky states influence this.

Bottom line 3.12 is really circling the drain for MDs regardless of MCAT. Post-bacc work or an SMP looks like it might be a good move. DO however can be realistic.

Sure. But a "statistical impossibility" it is not.

Sure. But a "statistical impossibility" it is not.

It's hard to recommend anybody to apply to med school when there is at best a 10% type of chance of getting in(don't get caught up in the exact number points still the same) as is currently.

It's hard to recommend anybody to apply to med school when there is at best a 10% type of chance of getting in(don't get caught up in the exact number points still the same) as is currently.

I recommended he wait a year.

Successful MD applicants who reinvent themselves have aced things, not B'esed them. You're well be low the 10th %ile for the NJ schools, alas.

You have yet to convine an Adcom that you can survive a medical school curriculum. Start acing things and think about an SMP.