What are my odds? (low gpa)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robinlim91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a Junior. I actually applied to NYU dental before the start of my Junior year and I got rejected. I am a Biology major with a chem minor.

GPA: 3.2 overall, 3.2 science
DAT: 25 AA, 25 PAT

from my gpa and DAT scores, what are my odds of getting into dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't imagine getting rejected with a DAT like that unless you didn't mention that you have some really low scores as well... GPA is pretty low. Other than that maybe your personal statement or EC's were bad. Good luck!

Hi, I am currently a Junior. I actually applied to NYU dental before the start of my Junior year and I got rejected. I am a Biology major with a chem minor.

You got rejected b/c you applied a year earlier than is expected. The incredibly high DAT score makes up for the low GPA for some schools. I feel like if you apply broadly, and the rest of your app is good, you will get in somewhere worth going.

If you have done some worthwhile research, and have plenty of other good ECs, LORs, etc. etc.... Columbia would probably accept you with that DAT score being as high as it is. Especially if that (low) GPA is at a relatively competitive undergrad.

hmm. i would try to improve on the GPA as much as possible. maybe you should wait until the end of senior year to apply, take a year off to enjoy life, then reapply? 3.2 is a bit low and you have 1 more year to improve. your DAT score is killer, but i think you need the whole package. Also, why would you apply junior year? that makes no sense because you'd still be in college...

I'm sure you got rejected because you applied when you were a sophomore in undergrad... not enough credits. Apply to like 8 schools and you won't have any trouble getting in with your DAT, just keep your GPA up.

If you have done some worthwhile research, and have plenty of other good ECs, LORs, etc. etc.... Columbia would probably accept you with that DAT score being as high as it is. Especially if that (low) GPA is at a relatively competitive undergrad.

Good shot at UOP too.

You got rejected b/c you applied a year earlier than is expected. The incredibly high DAT score makes up for the low GPA for some schools. I feel like if you apply broadly, and the rest of your app is good, you will get in somewhere worth going.

Yep.
I'm surprised more people didn't mention this.

OP: If you apply again after junior year, you'll get in somewhere. Good luck

good luck OP

lol, it still boggles my mind why he would apply sophomore year...did he not look at the min requirements to get into d-school? OP explain :laugh:

lol, it still boggles my mind why he would apply sophomore year...did he not look at the min requirements to get into d-school? OP explain :laugh:

The OP is not the first person I have heard of who did this. At one point, people could go into dental school w/out a bachelors degree. I don't know how common it was. Now with the competition becoming more intense, most dental schools will tell you that a bachelors degree is required prior to matriculation.