What are my options for a low GPA? Will an SMP help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfmedstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad GPA is approx 2.9 while my Post bac GPA is a 3.9 (including upper division classes such as biochem, etc). I am a bit concerned about my GPA and feel that med schools will not look past my undergrad GPA, although I have nearly aced every science course offered by my post bac. I have great LORs, volunteer experience, and low 30s MCATs. I have estimated that to get my cum GPA to 3.0 it would take nearly 2 yrs of aceing my classes. I would like to save money and skip out on 2 more years of school since I am a non-trad student.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? My profs say I am fine but reading these posts on SDN makes me a bit skeptical about my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

My undergrad GPA is approx 2.9 while my Post bac GPA is a 3.9 (including upper division classes such as biochem, etc). I am a bit concerned about my GPA and feel that med schools will not look past my undergrad GPA, although I have nearly aced every science course offered by my post bac. I have great LORs, volunteer experience, and low 30s MCATs. I have estimated that to get my cum GPA to 3.0 it would take nearly 2 yrs of aceing my classes. I would like to save money and skip out on 2 more years of school since I am a non-trad student.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? My profs say I am fine but reading these posts on SDN makes me a bit skeptical about my chances.

Listen to your profs, you should be okay. There have been people who have gotten into medical school with lower stats. Perhaps apply early and broadly. It wouldn't hurt to apply to a bunch of lower tiered "safey net" schools if you are not too picky.