What are my options? Need an advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grigory76

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG and just passed Step 1 with 240/97. I am planning to take Step 2 CK and CS in about 3 months. I know it will be too late to apply for residency in 3 months and I was wondering if I have any chance of being invited for interviews if I apply now, indicating specific dates of the two exams I will be taking.
A little bit about my background:
I am 29, MD degree from a Moscow med. school in 1999, Physician Assistant degree in NYC in 2003, 2 years of work experience in urology, cardiology and radiology.
The doctors from my work place I spoke with are telling me to apply now as I have nothing to lose besides money. Just wanted to get your opinion as well before doing anything.
Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Gregory

Members don't see this ad.

It is very common for US medical students to wait to take Step 2 until winter or spring of their fourth year, and most programs do not have a problem interviewing or ranking people before they've taken Step 2 as long as they did well on Step 1. Considering your excellent Step 1 score I would think you'd be fine applying this year. The only exception would be if there are specific issues for IMG's that I'm not aware of. Maybe someone who has applied as an IMG will be able to give a better perspective.

Hope this helps!

-BBB

well, the only problem may be the timing of your results. if results from your step 2 exams are not back by rank order deadline, you will not be allowed to participate in the match. ecfmg has stated that if you take the exams by dec 31 (finish both of them before that date) you SHOULD be ok.

so,if you are planning to take step 2 before dec 31, i would definitely apply, and apply now. interviews are already being offered to many, many people without step 2 results. i have several without CS, and i have classmates that don't have results for either exam yet, and they also have several interviews.

If you have not ALREADY signed up for a date (Step 2CK) in October-November-December, the earliest you can test, will be January 2006..thus, you will not be able to make the deadlines in February if you also have to take CS. Double-check, but I think you are too late. GL and I wish I had your Step 1 score!!

I am planning to take the both exams at the end of December. Given a good score on Step 1 and definite dates in my hand would you think some programs might consider inviting me for an interview? The biggest issue here is that I am an IMG.
Thanks

IF you already have the CK date, you may be able to get score back and that depends too on whether you have FRED or old software. You will miss the deadline of MANY programs, but there will be a few which have an extended application time. Hopefully you got a deal worked out at your hospital now. I never say never, so good luck.

Scheduling a date is matter of minnutes, and I should be fine for December for both CK and CS.
I work in a private outpatient place affiliated with NYU med center, but I don't really consider NYU as a realistic option, even if I have passed all the exams by now with a good score.

if the rest of your app is complete, you should get interview invites without step 2 results. do your ERAS NOW!!! to make sure you get as many invites as possible.

being an img is not the greatest, but you have excellent scores. getting interviews should not be a problem. but, do it NOW!!!

Go for it!!
What field will you be applying into?

Internal medicine. With future hopes for GI or cardio