Jul 25, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
MS3 at DO school on rotations
Finished rotation 1 and am currently on an elective

Took Step 1 and ended up failing USMLE and receiving 470 on COMLEX I...

Middle third of class quartile. Honors on first rotation.

What are my options?
-Only apply DO residencies
-Retake USMLE
-Is a dualy accredited AOA/ACGME IM residency still an option for me? Or is my board score too low
-What specialties/fields are still realistic for me?

Thanks.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Don't bother with USMLE. Your best bests are with AOA programs, or ACGME programs that have taken grads from your school in the past.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Don't bother with USMLE. Your best bests are with AOA programs, or ACGME programs that have taken grads from your school in the past.
I don't think ACGME programs are going to rank a candidate with only a failing grade on the USMLE.

OP needs to lay out a list of fields they actually want to go into. If they want EM or Gas for example, then retaking the usmle isn't worth it and should just focus on AOA match.

Reactions: songl4a

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
From the data I've seen, PDs like COMLEX II more than COMLEX I. There's there is some hope for OP.

I'm pretty sure if they can hit a good score on their COMLEX Step 2 they could have options beyond that with a good audition thrown in there too.

OP
M
Jul 25, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Okay thank you for all the responses. Will try to score better on Step II (6oo)

Is it worthwhile to apply to a AOA/ACGME dualy certified IM residency which is in my hometown and do my away rotations there with a better COMLEX II? (Is this is a waste of a rotation?)

Or would it be more beneficial to do my rotations at only AOA accredited IM residency programs as my board scores are lower?

Did you miss the part about failing step 1? I'm assuming you don't intend on retaking it so ACGME programs are generally out. You may find some programs that might overlook that in lieu of your level 1 score but I wouldn't count on it. You can't skip the AOA match so it's a moot point.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: GUH

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Did you miss the part about failing step 1? I'm assuming you don't intend on retaking it so ACGME programs are generally out. You may find some programs that might overlook that in lieu of your level 1 score but I wouldn't count on it. You can't skip the AOA match so it's a moot point.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I think some uncompetitive psych or fm residencies may take him on the acgme side. But even then if that's the goal retaking the usmle may be beneficial.

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think some uncompetitive psych or fm residencies may take him on the acgme side. But even then if that's the goal retaking the usmle may be beneficial.
I don't think psych is a safe bet these days--even for MD students who score low (less than 210) on step1 (1 attempt).

Yadster101

7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I don't think ACGME programs are going to rank a candidate with only a failing grade on the USMLE.

OP needs to lay out a list of fields they actually want to go into. If they want EM or Gas for example, then retaking the usmle isn't worth it and should just focus on AOA match.
wait why are you guys telling him to apply aoa? I thought AOA spots were gone now because of the merger?

Taddy Mason

30 Helens agree
2+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2015
The Seaward
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't think psych is a safe bet these days--even for MD students who score low (less than 210) on step1 (1 attempt).
Why do you keep saying this despite be called out by multiple people for it being completely unfounded? In 2014 of the 235 US seniors with Step 1 scores ≤210 who applied for psych residencies, 17 (7%) didn't match.

Last edited:
Reactions: racerwad and W19

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I think maybe for a DO, but plenty of psych programs still state that they prefer applicants with usmles above 200. Clearly some programs have higher averages, but generally it didn't explode in competitiveness as SDN likes to pretend. It's still a field that is based on personality not board scores.

Consigliere

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2008
Neither here nor there
Status
Attending Physician
MS3 at DO school on rotations
Finished rotation 1 and am currently on an elective

Took Step 1 and ended up failing USMLE and receiving 470 on COMLEX I...

Middle third of class quartile. Honors on first rotation.

What are my options?
-Only apply DO residencies
-Retake USMLE
-Is a dualy accredited AOA/ACGME IM residency still an option for me? Or is my board score too low
-What specialties/fields are still realistic for me?

Thanks.
DO family practice residency is your best chance.