What are my options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tweedelee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just graduated from a UC school with a 2.2 gpa and a 40R MCAT. All of the post-bach programs I looked at have a minimum 2.5 gpa requirement. Can anyone give me advice on what I should do to increase my chances of getting into a U.S. med school next year? Also, what are my chances at getting into a Caribbean med school with those stats? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

2.2 and a 40!? Maybe you can convince the post-bac programs to take you with that MCAT? How about doing a Special Masters Program?

2.2 and a 40!? Maybe you can convince the post-bac programs to take you with that MCAT? How about doing a Special Masters Program?

Yea, I am going to try to get in contact with some post-bac programs in Cali to see if they could make an exception. If they won't I was thinking about the some Open U coursework at a CSU. Anyone have any experience with that? From what I am hearing/reading, the difference between an informal program and a formal one is mainly support outside the classroom ( MCAT prep, connections with med schools, etc..) and, of course, a master's degree or at least some kind of certificate. Am I correct in my understanding of the differences? If I am only looking to boost my GPA would the Open U informal program at a CSU be viable? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goodness a 40 on the mcat. You should be looking for SMP's which don't screen out by GPA. Also doing a hard science master degree will also do you good. Don't forget to apply to DO schools.

Last edited:
can't you take some classes at a local school unmatriculated? They usually don't care what your gpa is