• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

What are my options?

tweedelee

Jun 12, 2010
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hi, I just graduated from a UC school with a 2.2 gpa and a 40R MCAT. All of the post-bach programs I looked at have a minimum 2.5 gpa requirement. Can anyone give me advice on what I should do to increase my chances of getting into a U.S. med school next year? Also, what are my chances at getting into a Caribbean med school with those stats? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

tweedelee

Jun 12, 2010
    1. Pre-Medical
      2.2 and a 40!? Maybe you can convince the post-bac programs to take you with that MCAT? How about doing a Special Masters Program?

Yea, I am going to try to get in contact with some post-bac programs in Cali to see if they could make an exception. If they won't I was thinking about the some Open U coursework at a CSU. Anyone have any experience with that? From what I am hearing/reading, the difference between an informal program and a formal one is mainly support outside the classroom ( MCAT prep, connections with med schools, etc..) and, of course, a master's degree or at least some kind of certificate. Am I correct in my understanding of the differences? If I am only looking to boost my GPA would the Open U informal program at a CSU be viable? Thanks.

About the Ads

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
      10+ Year Member
    • Nov 10, 2009
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Goodness a 40 on the mcat. You should be looking for SMP's which don't screen out by GPA. Also doing a hard science master degree will also do you good. Don't forget to apply to DO schools.

Last edited:
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.