What are my true chances at medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbrown101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a currently a senior with a 3.2-3.3 GPA. I have a number of hours volunteering inside a hospital, however only a few have been devoted to shadowing. I have had an internship teaching which I think will look good on applications, but I am still unaware of my true chances of being able to get in.

Members don't see this ad.

I have yet to take my MCAT. Around what grade should I focus to get on it to ensure my placement?

Members don't see this ad :)
At least an A-

Reactions: 6 users
There's no such thing as doing anything to "ensure your placement." There are people with really good stats that don't get in.

Focus on your ECs....which to be honest sound bare bones. Study and do well on your MCAT.

Your GPA is kinda low so you may need to look into doing a post bac program, however, you may be good for a DO program should your MCAT score be good.

What exactly is the different in the two degrees? Aren't both able to diagnose and treat patients in the same manner?

You should get at least a 170 on the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
What exactly is the different in the two degrees? Aren't both able to diagnose and treat patients in the same manner?

A MD and a DO are both physicians. You should do some research on careers in medicines because it seems like you have a lot of learning to do.

Reactions: 1 users
What "grade" on the MCAT? Maybe start off by looking at the "scoring" system for the MCAT and go from there... although a 170 would be quite good

Your GPA is low, your ec's seem lacking. No MCAT--lol not much to go on here...

I mean I'm a freshie and I know what's need for med school. I'm calling :troll:-----

Guys - why post if you're just gonna make fun and waste space? Avg matriculant scores are around 3.6ish and 31 mcat. You're low on GPA so your MCAT will have to compensate. Like people have said, your ECs seem very skimpy and once you're dipping into 3.2/3.3 GPA almost no MCAT can save you

If he's a troll then nvm

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a currently a senior with a 3.2-3.3 GPA. I have a number of hours volunteering inside a hospital, however only a few have been devoted to shadowing. I have had an internship teaching which I think will look good on applications, but I am still unaware of my true chances of being able to get in.
What is your science GPA (for DO schools, this won't include math, but for MD schools, it will, along with Bio, Chem, and Physics)? What brought your cGPA down (like, one bad semester, a poor freshman year, or have your grades stayed the same through 3.5 years)? Do you have a recent upward grade trend if someone looks at your grades term by term?

MD unlikely (depending upon where you live, naturally) , but DO chances are fine. You will need more ECs and shadowing.

MD unlikely (depending upon where you live, naturally) , but DO chances are fine. You will need more ECs and shadowing.

I have one semester left, I calculated my volunteer hours and they equal out to be 72 with 5 shadowing. My last semester I'm only taking 12 hours so I will have lots of free time to both volunteer more and shadow. Even if I took these steps, ended with A's in all my classes, then did well on my MCAT does it seem improbable?

I have one semester left, I calculated my volunteer hours and they equal out to be 72 with 5 shadowing. My last semester I'm only taking 12 hours so I will have lots of free time to both volunteer more and shadow. Even if I took these steps, ended with A's in all my classes, then did well on my MCAT does it seem improbable?

If you're wanting to go to a MD school, your gpa will make it difficult.

You need to do more than volunteer and shadow with those grades. You need a broader range of experiences, leadership, research, and an obvious passion for clinical work. Even with a good MCAT, with limited extracurricular activities you will be at a supreme disadvantage. If one aspect of your app is lacking (GPA/MCAT/EC/LOR), the other three need to be pretty stellar.

You should probably take a year off, make sure you "Ace" the MCAT, get more experience in a clinical setting, scribe/cna/tech, and get an interesting part-time job somewhere else (service industry/tech/research). If you score highly on the MCAT you might have a shot at DO schools with limited ECs, but if all you have is shadowing, volunteering, and 1 internship then you will be in trouble.

The avg accepted student at MD schools has a GPA of 3.6. The floor tends to be 3.4, but this will differ from school to school. Strongly suggest investing in MSAR of you're from a state like LA or one of the Plains states. Their floors are lower.

However, I still do not see much luck with MD schools.

You need to do more than volunteer and shadow with those grades. You need a broader range of experiences, leadership, research, and an obvious passion for clinical work. Even with a good MCAT, with limited extracurricular activities you will be at a supreme disadvantage. If one aspect of your app is lacking (GPA/MCAT/EC/LOR), the other three need to be pretty stellar.

You should probably take a year off, make sure you "Ace" the MCAT, get more experience in a clinical setting, scribe/cna/tech, and get an interesting part-time job somewhere else (service industry/tech/research). If you score highly on the MCAT you might have a shot at DO schools with limited ECs, but if all you have is shadowing, volunteering, and 1 internship then you will be in trouble.

I thank u for both your honesty and your suggestions. I am not in a race with anyone however.
I will have time to take a year to do more, if I came back and took classes as a post-bach wouldn't that be a way to improve the scores I did poorly in? I could also take this year to gain more EC experience as well as research.

You do have a chance. Just get an MCAT of 30+ and knock your interview out of the park. Also, like other people mentioned above, do more volunteering.

Hey everyone.
I was just looking for some advice.
I'm American with a lebanese background and have done under grad in lebanon. This country isn't safe at all and some personal circumstances have affected my gpa.
I'm graduating in may with a 3.0 gpa and a 31 on my mcat.
With these stats, do you recommend a Postbacc or and SMP do increase my chances of getting accepted into medical school?

Hey everyone.
I was just looking for some advice.
I'm American with a lebanese background and have done under grad in lebanon. This country isn't safe at all and some personal circumstances have affected my gpa.
I'm graduating in may with a 3.0 gpa and a 31 on my mcat.
With these stats, do you recommend a Postbacc or and SMP do increase my chances of getting accepted into medical school?
It would be best to start your own thread rather than piggybacking on someone else's to get appropriate attention.

Score a 28+ on the MCAT and work on your ECs and DO school is a possibility. Score a 35+ and become a master of felatio and MD school is a possibility.

If you want to improve your chances of MD admission, SMP, graduate school, or saving entire African nations via solar powered devices that turn dirt into food is in order. Even with these, you're still screwed without a 32 on the MCAT.