What are schools with strong predent/premed programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

internist88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what are some schools that are good for medicine for U-grads. Please dont respond with the "predent isnt a major. U can major in w/e as long as u take the pre-reqs and do well on the DAT." NO **** ****LOCK!! I might be a junior in high school, but I'm not that dumb. You shouldnt say this especially considering that there are better premed/dent programs than others. For example, Hopkins places 93% of its students in med school/dent school, while Notre Dame places 80%, which makes Hopkins better. And also, now that I mention them, please dont state obvious schools such as Stanford and stuff. I'm looking more at top publics (ie UW, etc.) or pretty much anything outside of top 25 USNEWS.

btw, I want to go to OHSU for med or dent because I live in Oregon and fell in love with it after visiting the campus for the opening of some new building

Thanks for your help :)

Members don't see this ad.

internist88 said:
I'm wondering what are some schools that are good for medicine for U-grads. Please dont respond with the "predent isnt a major. U can major in w/e as long as u take the pre-reqs and do well on the DAT." NO **** ****LOCK!! I might be a junior in high school, but I'm not that dumb. You shouldnt say this especially considering that there are better premed/dent programs than others. For example, Hopkins places 93% of its students in med school/dent school, while Notre Dame places 80%, which makes Hopkins better. And also, now that I mention them, please dont state obvious schools such as Stanford and stuff. I'm looking more at top publics (ie UW, etc.) or pretty much anything outside of top 25 USNEWS.

btw, I want to go to OHSU for med or dent because I live in Oregon and fell in love with it after visiting the campus for the opening of some new building

It's more about how you do at your school and on the DAT than the school's program. You can't completely base it on the stats of placement of the programs. If you're at the top anywhere, you're going to get in where you want. And if you're at the bottom at even Hopkins, your chances are not as good. Also, you don't have to do a strictly "premed" or "predent" program. You can really major in anything, many people pick biology, chem, or even stuff like psychology, business, or otherwise and then just complete the suggested courses. By the way, I wouldn't venture to say Hopkins is better than Notre Dame when you're talking about all around college experience. Keep that in mind. It's not just about the stats. Pick a college based on where you think you would see yourself for the next four years.

internist88 said:

I completely agree with futrdentist that you get into dental school based on your performance in college and on the DATs. A good college will probably help your chances provided that you are a stellar student, but that's going to be true almost anywhere you go.

Moreover, why are you so concerned about a 13% difference between Hopkins and Notre Dame acceptance rates? I hope you're smart enough to realize that pre-health professions are what you put into it and not what school you go to. Higher numbers reflect the fact that those schools probably accept more competitive HS applicants who do the work and do it well. In fact, I know a few friends who went to Hopkins and hated it because of the tension and unfriendliness of many of the "pre-med" kids there. This is not to slight Hopkins, but to make a point that the health profession is first and foremost a people-oriented field. Like many members have said before, you're going into a practice where people may hate to see you out of fear or discomfort, and your job is to make their experience as pleasant as possible, not to wow them with the biochemistry details of their conditions.

In any case, think long and hard about why you want to become a doctor or dentist, because if it's to prove your worth or to make money, then look into business. If you want to know about the top state schools in the country, then the top 3 are: Berkeley, U of Michigan, and U of Virginia.

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are smart and work hard, you won't have trouble getting into dental or medical school no matter which college you go to.

Your GPA and DAT scores are the most important things in your dental school application. The DAT does not care where you took your classes at. I took my prereqs at a JuCo and scored in the 96th percentile on the DAT AA. I saw a guy on here that did the same thing but scored in the 99th percentile on the DAT.

If you have what it takes to become a physician or a dentist, your choice of a university won't matter.

Another thing that you should consider is that some of those top schools have more top students and it might make you look a little more average. If 80% get in from Notre Dame and you are in the 81st percentile then you might be SOL, but Joe Blow State University might have 40% get in where you are in the 20th percentile of the applicant pool from that school.

I wouldnt put too much weight into those placement stats because they can be misleading. I don't if its true for the Hopkins and ND stats you gave, but a lot of times those stats only include the students that actually applied and saw the process though to the end. It doesn't include the hundreds (maybe thousands?) that couldn't cut it in their science class and decided to do something else with their lives. So take those stats with a grain of salt and just go wherever you're gonna enjoy yourself. As for good publics, Michigan would be a GREAT choice..of course I'm a little biased though :cool:

internist88 said:

The biggest feeder schools to OHSU are far and away Portland State, Oregon State and U of Oregon. If you do well at any of these three you shouldn't have a problem with acceptance (provided you have a nice 19+ DAT). Maximize your application by being well rounded. OHSU loves the gpa so choose your classes wisely and try and keep 3.6+ across the board. You don't have to go out of state to be competitive.

I agree with Yellow Snow. If you want to go to OHSU and the state has established feeder routes, and you are a resident then by all means use the established routes if you are interested in going to undergrad in Oregon. Use a system that works. The other schools with a high placement rate most likely have a feeder system to specific schools which are likely not Oregon based, simply looking at geography. The dominant feeder system for OHSU is the Oregon state university system. Use it and it will make your life much easier. Your LORs will come from people on a first name basis with the adcoms, your coursework will be taught by colleagues of the adcoms, you can get research experience with people familiar with the adcoms, and you can visit the school/get summer employment at OHSU. If you go to Johns Hopkins or Notre Dame you're likely to have a similiar situation but it simply will not be as tight of a connection to OHSU, it will be to somewhere else.

True, you may be a resident of Oregon several years down the road when you are ready to apply to dental school but your application will have out of state coursework and will likely be assumed to be non-resident unless you go out of your way to convey residency in Oregon either on your personal statement that goes to all of the schools you apply to or on your secondary should you survive the initial review. OHSU is very particular on what makes a resident for admissions and tuition purposes - you'd do well to research it in advance.

If you think this a bunch of bunk, go ahead and call OHSU admissions and ask what they think. OHSU Dental Admissions phone number is (503) 494-5274.