What are sleep fellowships looking for in applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
2nd year resident here.. Really interested in applying to sleep medicine next year. Since the fellowship is only a year I wouldn't really care about location too much. At my wifes residency their sleep fellowship is run jointly through the psych and FM depts, the last two years they ve taken 1 fellow a year and its been an FM doc each year. The director of the program does say he places a high value on sleep related research.

But just wondering what were most mid tier and lower tier programs are looking for in applicants? I don't think I would be competitive at top tier programs since I am a resident at a community program and I have no research experience (mostly bc I opted for an unopposed program at a busy community/county hospital that doesn't literally any research going on at all, I asked around...).

Members don't see this ad.

Do most applicants have research experience?

I'm sure a lot of some kind of research experience/exposure, whether or not it is sleep related.......

Need to broaden your horizons than lay your hat onto one program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure a lot of some kind of research experience/exposure, whether or not it is sleep related.......

Need to broaden your horizons than lay your hat onto one program.

Did you guys feel that research was essential to your apps when applying? Like I said I m at a community its hospital far from a university and there is literally zero research going on at my hospital (I sought out research and there is none).

Could one show their interest with elective time geared towards sleep rotations? Solid LORs? Away rotations?

I don't understand the broadening your horizons comment? Are you saying to apply widely?

Yes. It appears you're fixated on a single program but want to do sleep.

Not at all.... As I said in my original post location wouldn't be a big issue for me. I also inquired about what mid tier and lower tier programs were looking for because I am open to going to many programs as long as you get decent training.

My main question was how big of a factor does research experience play in the fellowship applications/selection process?

Not at all.... As I said in my original post location wouldn't be a big issue for me. I also inquired about what mid tier and lower tier programs were looking for because I am open to going to many programs as long as you get decent training.

My main question was how big of a factor does research experience play in the fellowship applications/selection process?

Like any other residency/fellowship spot and the character/nature of the program. You know this..... don't obsess too much.