What are some good methods to study to medical school lessons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrfail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, because we are all doctors or future doctors/nurses/pharmacologists here, I figured only you can give me the best advice. I kind of need some external opinions about the study procedures.

You know, they just vomit some knowledge on to us and expect us to eat it. And I am having hard time doing so.

So, please can you give me some tips about studying to the particular lessons? At least give some tips for the branch you feel you are better :)

OK, since I am in Turkey and our education system seems a little different, I'll explain what I am expected to learn from some of the classes (I am in my 3rd year, I passed some of these lessons - but I'll need them later, of course).

- Anatomy: We are expected to know name of every structure. This included the sulcus on a bone but no more. We need to know the names of every muscle, every nerve, every organ structure (both histological and structural features like angles, sulcuses etc.). Also, the functions of the muscles and nerves, the special names given to the certain spots (like Traube's space, McBurney's point) and their borders.

- Physiology: We need to know the mechanisms of course, but we also need to know every detail in these mechanisms like the molecular structure alterations, the names of these micro-structures, receptors (and of course their mechanisms), and sometimes the biochemical events going on.

- Histology: General features of the specific cells, their staining features, their microscopic and macroscopic features, their special names if given by someone (Goblet cells, Langerhans islets etc), where they are found etc.

- Biochemistry: Biochemical events (from top of my head, I'd say TCA cycle etc), the names of every enzymes, products and side products.

- Pathology: The general etiology of a given disease, its symptoms and signs, the histopathological features of the disease, its clinical manifestation and its pathophysiology. Sometimes the frequency of the disease.

- Pharmacology: The name, class, subclass of the substance, its mechanism, its distinctive features (indications and contrindications for example), name of every substance in every class even if the substance has no specific feaure and sometimes even if it is not used anymore.

- Parasitology: The name of the parasite, its life cycle, where it is found, how it infects, how we fight it (preventing and treating) and their structure.

- Microbiology: The name of the organism and its features, its diseases, the substances it is sensitive to, its cytological features (for bacteria for example, if it is gram positive or negative, if it is cathalase positive or negative etc) and its family.

In the first year, we took biochemistry, genetic, histology, biophysics, first aid, biostatistics and some anatomy. There was one exam for all of these. In a term, you have 2-3 of this exam. Then we started to another term, and took another 2-3 exams. Then final exam comes which includes everything and from the beginning.

In the second year, we took biochemistry, anatomy, physiology, histology, immunology. Same went for this year too. A total of 5 exams which included every lessons. Then one final exam which included the whole year, and the previous year (As a tradition, they only ask from this year - however you cannot object to them if they ask from previous year).

In the third year, we are still pre-clinic people. We have Pathology, Pharmacology, Parasitology, Microbiology, and some clinic lessons. Exams take place like they did previous years.

They go as far as they can in terms of details. So I have to know as much as I can.

So, ANY help would be highly appreciated.

Please understand I do not look for a magical method. I was advised to explore new methods as mine is (read like crazy) found inefficient by some of my professors.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're in your 3rd yr, at least in the US you would be done with classroom stuff. What kind of suggestions do you want? I personally go to lecture, read through the material and then use old tests and question banks for review. That's usually all I need, but every person is different.

Unfortunately I am not in the US. I'm in Turkey.

Actually I'm on the verge of failing (my nickname was not a joke) and I was told to try to change my studying methods.

So, actually I am not sure what I am looking for from you guys. If you feel your method is special and is what makes you a better student than me, I would love to hear about your methods.

That is, of course if you like to share. I understand that some people feel like not sharing their methods and that is totally normal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately I am not in the US. I'm in Turkey.

Actually I'm on the verge of failing (my nickname was not a joke) and I was told to try to change my studying methods.

So, actually I am not sure what I am looking for from you guys. If you feel your method is special and is what makes you a better student than me, I would love to hear about your methods.

That is, of course if you like to share. I understand that some people feel like not sharing their methods and that is totally normal.

Nothing to do with not wanting to share. I am happy to do that as are others I'm sure. But I'm not really sure what I can say that would be of use. Everyone's study methods are different. What are you failing/near-failing? Are there certain patterns to your weaknesses? When are you successful? What was different about those times?

As I mentioned, for me the best thing to do is read through the material and then do practice tests and questions. As I am doing the questions I will look up anything I got wrong using the PDF version of our syllabus as it makes things easier to locate by simply typing in a keyword from the question stem or correct answer and then quickly reviewing that topic that I was weak in.

Mr. Fail,

As you mentioned much of medical school is rote memorization. Some people are better at this than others. The way I succeeded is by really trying to get my brain to be as active as possible while studying. Most people cannot just passively look through a set of notes and learn the lesson. Have you tried using flashcards? There are numerous websites if google something like "online flashcards" and most of them have large amounts of user created medical material. When studying things like anatomy. Don't just look at the picture then look at the label. Cover up the label and force yourself to come up with an answer before you unveil it. This is all about being active and really engaging in the material!

Survivor DO

Personally for me, writing down things I don't know helps me retain them better.

If there's a large amount, I usually can formulate it into a table/chart (at least for things not detailed mechanism oriented).

Also, try not to lose the forest for the trees. It was easier to learn things by grouping them together with other similar things. Don't delve into minutiae before you can handle the overall concepts. Yes, there might be some minute detail questions, but most of them are likely testing more broadly than what you imagine.

don't go to lectures ( bloody waste of time)
-most important things to pass is the dr.powerpoints slides (it's the material that you will asked in, so u have to master it as u can )
-when reading slides u have to get the principles to understand it >> use the textbooks , but not the big textbooks that your doctors want because they maybe need tons of time
here is some stuffs that really help :
in pathology : use pathoma text + videos ( the videos are great and a must )
then read robbins basic pathology for further understanding

in anatomy : use textbook that u like and the atlas that u like ( repetition is the key )

in pharma : memorise the dr. slides + k&t pharmacology examination and board review (http://www.amazon.com/Katzung-Pharm...1361904242&sr=8-2&keywords=kutzung+and+trevor)

in micro : use the slides + CMMRS ( http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Microbiology-Made-Ridiculously-Simple/dp/1935660039/ref=pd_sim_b_4)

in physio the book is enough

and do last years questions before the exams so u can see where's your weak points
------------
best study method : focus as you can when u read , get out the distracters
and repeat what u study ( for example : study this material today , tommorw review it and review it after a week )
get breaks between study periods ( example if u read for 4 hours continously thats so tiring and will burned u out )
study for 1 hr take 10 min rest - and so on
----------
don't give up and your work will paid of 1 day

I sincerely apologize from all of the nice people who have answered. I simply cannot be online frequently because I'm on the verge of failing the class :(

@itsmcv2015
I never meant to imply that people do not share their methods. The reason behind signing on this forum (or any other forums) is sharing. But some people are not aware what they are doing (I cannot give any tips on learning English, I never realized what made it easier for me). Sometimes they simply believe that the method has some kind of 'magic'.
What I meant is that, not sharing the methods is not necessarily a bad thing :)
I am sorry if I offended you or any other person by these words.

About your suggestions, I have started to take more practice questions. I used to ask questions to myself, which is also a great method especially for pathology and physiology.

@survivordo
I searched for flashcard material after reading your post. Unfortunately, they were not what I wanted.
But the flashcard concept is something I liked. During my search, I found Anki, an application which has a web interface and has PC, Android and iOS clients. You can prepare cards on your computer and upload it to your smartphone. Study on the go.
I already started to make my own flashcards. It takes time but helps remembering. I prepare them in Turkish naturally. But when I have time, I'm planning to translate them into English.

@evilboyaa
Writing helps me too. But it takes too much time. Of course I still write down stuff. This has a downside, if the exam is a detailed one, either you end up copying the notes or you miss some points. And our exams are detailed. Still a good advice. At least I know it is a good way to study.

Do you stop reading the material you wrote down and start studying your own notes or do you keep studying the original material?

@baraa123
Videos for pathology is a nice suggestion. I'll try to get my hands on some videos. As per the focusing part, I seem like failing there. You know, as the exam comes closer, stress raises and focus decreases.
This is pointed as a possible major factor behind my bad grades. Let's see how it goes...

I haven't studied the basic science stuff in a while, but what I used to do was this:
1) skip low-yield lectures, you should know which professors lectures aren't worthwhile by now.
2) Study everything for understanding the first pass and try to understand everything while making connections to knowledge thats already in your brain, and do this daily for the day's lectures.
3) Choose a day on the weekend to dedicate to switch from understanding to memorizing what you've learned over the past week.
4) Write down topics/concepts that I'm having a difficult time with -- pay special attention to these little by little every day.
5) Buckle down and make sure you have everything memorized and understood starting a couple of weeks before test week.

If you can find a friend to go over the lecture with everyday, that helps! Then you guys can take turns explaining to each other.

@evilboyaa
Writing helps me too. But it takes too much time. Of course I still write down stuff. This has a downside, if the exam is a detailed one, either you end up copying the notes or you miss some points. And our exams are detailed. Still a good advice. At least I know it is a good way to study.

Do you stop reading the material you wrote down and start studying your own notes or do you keep studying the original material?

Once I write down my notes (which are generally things that I do not know, or concepts to reinforce) I look at them on subsequent reviews, not the original material.

Guys, all of you, thanks again for your answers.

I have started to use sticky papers. They are slightly larger than the usual sticky paper size. I am reading my professor's slides and while I am on the break or after I stop studying, I keep seeing the notes.
Notes include the most crucial parts of the certain topic or slide. For example,

Minimal change disease
The most common cause of nephrotic syndrome with the children
Proximal tubulus cells are filled with lipids, thus named as lipoid nephrosis.
Selective proteinuria.
Prognosis is good and children respond well to corticosteroid hormone therapy.

I didn't look at the slides or that sticky paper while writing this. If they are correct, then it works. Well, at least for Pathology :)