What Are Some Good Questions to Ask Dental Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmpedUp

The Legend Still Lives
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to call dental schools next week and I'm preparing a list of questions and concerns. Something I will definitely be asking is whether I should retake my DAT (not sure how specific they'll be with me on that, but it's worth asking). Anyway, I have a few questions on my list that I'm going to ask, but would like to know what are "GOOD" questions to ask every school in case I missed anything - because I know things change every cycle (numbers, programs, etc.).

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to call dental schools next week and I'm preparing a list of questions and concerns. Something I will definitely be asking is whether I should retake my DAT (not sure how specific they'll be with me on that, but it's worth asking). Anyway, I have a few questions on my list that I'm going to ask, but would like to know what are "GOOD" questions to ask every school in case I missed anything - because I know things change every cycle (numbers, programs, etc.).

Thanks in advance!

First off, I would suggest a DAT retake, as 16's, though not damning, aren't really that great, especially the PAT and RC score. You've got some time, and those are two sections where you can study and improve.

As far as questions go, it depends on your situation. Your GPA is stellar, so I wouldn't worry about that. You might want to ask them for specifics on what letters of recommendation you need (as in, who needs to write them). It varies from school to school, and would be useful. Also, ask them if they have any pre-requisite courses that you need to take that are not common. For example, UCLA requires a psychology class. At public schools in another state, I would ask about becoming a resident. I don't think you want to eat up a bunch of time asking a bunch of nit-picky questions, as most of the answers can be found on this forum. But, I think that those questions would provide you with some valuable info that may be difficult to find. Good luck!

^Thanks!

After I write my research grant, I'm going to go back to studying for the DAT. My semester has been so busy!! But I agree, I felt a little disappointed with my scores...Barely had enough time to study for RC and QR...and my PAT score was VERY disappointing!! I was getting 18-20 in with CDP and 21's in TopScore on RC Sections. I think fatigue set in after the natural science section. aggghh!! im sure the hassle of retaking is well worth it, but I felt like pulling my hair out after looking at the results.

Anyway, do you think there's a chance I can get into any dental schools with my scores? Which schools look at just overall and total science scores? Honestly, do schools look at every section of the test? Just wondering...

School I have an interest in are NOVA, UMKC (my state contracts with them), Nebraska, Kentucky, and Indiana...Will be calling them up next week!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
^Thanks!

After I write my research grant, I'm going to go back to studying for the DAT. My semester has been so busy!! But I agree, I felt a little disappointed with my scores...Barely had enough time to study for RC and QR...and my PAT score was VERY disappointing!! I was getting 18-20 in with CDP and 21's in TopScore on RC Sections. I think fatigue set in after the natural science section. aggghh!! im sure the hassle of retaking is well worth it, but I felt like pulling my hair out after looking at the results.

Anyway, do you think there's a chance I can get into any dental schools with my scores? Which schools look at just overall and total science scores? Honestly, do schools look at every section of the test? Just wondering...

School I have an interest in are NOVA, UMKC (my state contracts with them), Kentucky, and Indiana...Will be calling them up next week!

Have you taken a look at this thread? It will help you decide what schools to apply to.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=635046

Also, check out predents.com, if you haven't yet. It has user reported statistics in all the pertinent (numerical) categories, as well as info from the ADA book about average scores for enrolling dental students at each school.

If you're stats, letters of recommendation, personal statement, etc, are strong enough to overcome low DAT scores, you have a chance at some of the private schools. Check it all out, the information is pretty helpful.

Have you taken a look at this thread? It will help you decide what schools to apply to.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=635046

Also, check out predents.com, if you haven't yet. It has user reported statistics in all the pertinent (numerical) categories, as well as info from the ADA book about average scores for enrolling dental students at each school.

If you're stats, letters of recommendation, personal statement, etc, are strong enough to overcome low DAT scores, you have a chance at some of the private schools. Check it all out, the information is pretty helpful.

Dude...THANKS AGAIN! I need to check out these stickies. I keep forgetting! :D *makes some tabs in browser*

I will definitely try private schools. Again, location or program reputation doesn't matter to me. I'm willing to go to any school that'll take me!

Sorry for the "noob" questions lol.

Do you also need a list of questions to ask when you go out on a date?

uhhh excuse me?? :confused:

I'm not sure if that was meant to be sarcastic or serious, but I could've done this without anyone's help too. I would, however, love your input and suggestions on how to approach professional schools with questions, but if you have nothing to contribute then it's common sense after that point.

Don't you think it's a "little" irrational to be comparing dating and dental school admissions though? Please DON'T lecture me about real life. For me, dating and academics are totally different subjects. You can't apply one in the other.

SDN members can be confusing at times. You flame the wrong people!

Don't you think it's a "little" irrational to be comparing dating and dental school admissions though? Please DON'T lecture me about real life. For me, dating and academics are totally different subjects. You can't apply one in the other.

I was making fun of doc toothache's response not your thread.

But here are some older threads that might help:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=667780&highlight=questions+to+ask+schools
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=605903&highlight=questions+to+ask+schools
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=574718&highlight=questions+to+ask+schools