What are some insider tips on getting into John’s Hopkins for pre-med?

Dunkin4532

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m in high school and I was just asking for some advice on what to do throughout to increase my chances of getting into John’s Hopkins university for pre-med. I know they have a very good record of getting their students into med school, and I have always desperately wanted to pursue being a doctor and helping people. I volunteer whenever I can, get all A’s, and I have been studying for the SAT for years. I really want to be successful in pursuing medicine, and I feel colleges like JHU could give me a great boost. So, overall, I am asking for any more tips on how to make it into this highly selective school, and/or other colleges.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, why do you want to go to Hopkins? Why not any other undergrad?

Side notes: Why have you been studying for the SAT for years? That is excessive. I did not study for the SAT, did well enough on it, and went one of my state schools. I got accepted to multiple medical schools. Undergrad is mostly about what you put into it. Medical schools really do not put as much stock in undergrad institution reputation as you think.

Finally, could you remove all of the "Medical Student, Optometry Student, Veterinary Student, Resident [Any Field], Fellow [Any Field], Optometrist, Veterinarian, Medical Student (Accepted)" from your status? You are not any of those things and it could be confusing to people.

Reactions: 1 users
As a Baltimore native, I can tell you that Hopkins is good, but not what you think it is.

Like many schools, Hopkins undergrad is good for select majors and tracks; other than that, it's not that selective and it's hype extends from the professional and graduate schools attached. IMO, undergrad is more-or-less like Loyola or Towson (bias: Towson grad); however, when we start talking professional or graduate-level, now we're talking world-renowned.

To your original point, if you're doing what you claim to be doing, that's great, and you should have a shot at anywhere you want. It's up to you to select the best choice that will, from an unbiased POV, give you happiness, the resources you need, all at relatively good cost and convenience. For example, I went to Towson to become a physician, which Towson definitely is not known for. The pre-medical program sets you up with resources and starts your initiative and drive. But it won't do it all for you, which is common for these programs. I think a common misconception is the notion that these programs are supposed to open doors, etc. for you to get a head-up and walk into medical school like it'll be cake. Maybe, but you ultimately put in the work and you control your research, apps, MCAT, fate, etc. At the endow the day, that committee is just guidance and is just one committee who knows only what they care to know and are experts in (meaning there's as giant research world known as SDN, AAMC, Google, etc.).

In the end, pick any institution with the most of what you want, for the right reasons. When in school, etc., if you excel and get fantastic grades wherever you go and put in the work, and have fun (nobody likes a grade-hogging, know-it-all robot doc), you'll be able to go anywhere you want, regardless of what undergrad you choose.

Also, think about the "why?". You have a lot of time left, but I can tell you that a lot of professions help people;

so, why do you really want to be a doctor?