What are some major physiology concepts to know for the MCAT?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MUN2005, Apr 26, 2002.

1. MUN2005

MUN2005 Miner?

I've decided to teach the stuff to myself since I cannot take the course over the summer. I've been told that knowing some physiology for the mcat is an advantage. I have a medical physiology textbook and I was wondering what topics I should go over? Thanks in advance.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NineSixteen

NineSixteen Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Endocrine system - MCAT loves to do stuff with negative feedback mechanisms and hormones are a classic way to cover that stuff.

Autonomic nervous system - sympathetic (fight/flight)vs. parasympathetic(rest and digest), another MCAT fav topic. Stuff like knowing that ACh is the NT for parasympathetic nervous system, and when you stimulate vagus nerve and increase Ach, heart slows down.

Nephrons - glomerular filtration and blood pressure versus reabsorbtion at the distal convoluted tubule.

I'm sure there's other important ones, but these three stick out in my mind-

4. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member

know tha major hormone and what they do, menstruation cycle, Parasympathetic vs. sympathetic system responses. may be some more.

5. MUN2005

MUN2005 Miner?

Thanks Guys. Bump.

6. Dr Chooch

Dr Chooch will row for toast

Resident [Any Field]
    I would also get to know the digestive enzymes - know what tissues secrete what, etc. I remember a few questions on practice tests that just required strict memorization of those enzymes. As for what question I had on the real MCAT.......I really don't remember too much from that day because my brain was fried.

Also, make sure you look at action potential conduction to know the basics of how it works (sodium channels and good stuff like that).

Basic immunology also helps, which is probably covered in the phys book you have.

If you are worried about bio subject content I would look at a kaplan review book to get an idea of what concepts you need to know for the MCAT. Then, whenever you start studying for the test, if you feel shaky about anything use your phys book to reinforce the basic concepts covered in kaplan's book.

Good luck! :)

7. uffda

uffda Senior Member

in addition to above:
    know hemoglobin and how to read an O2 sat curve - what shift right and shift left mean and what does it and why
    know enzyme kinetics
    know the functions of the heart and circulation

8. Barton

Barton Senior Member

I say check out the biology section of the phat-ass kaplan review book. It has (i beleieve) all the relevant physiology one should know for the mcat. Plus it streamilines the info you'll need. Learning out of a textbook will give you too many extraneous details. you can get the Kaplan book from any bookstore for about $60, or check on half.com. I got mine there last year (brand new with CD-ROM) for $20. Later I sold it on half.com for $30!!!

9. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it is not possible to guess what part of Physiology you will need. I was also told to study the hormones and where they are made and stored. I was even told this over and over by my Physiology teacher. On my April MCAT there were NO questions about hormones. I was shocked and disappointed. Sigh... However, that said I would agree about the O2 saturation. I took the MCAT twice and it was on both.

I strongly recommend people take Physiology BEFORE taking the MCAT. That way your bases are covered and you will be able to handle what is thrown at you.