what are some of the top psych programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
id like to hear some opinions. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Mass Gen, Yale, Pitt, Penn, Hopkins, Duke. There are others, but those are among the best.

I agree with public health.

I would add UNC, Columbia, Michigan, UIC, UCSF, USC (south carolina), and UCLA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so confused in my applications.. I'm coming from a top-notch medical school, so i understand that I can probably have just about any program I want in Psychiatry.. Ahh the benefits of Psych :)

So I can't find any rankings anywhere.. and I'm getting a headache. I'm open to location. Want a program that'll give me good clinical exposure, not kill me with work, and will give me a "reputation" hopefully that will help me later in my career.

So then.. what do the rankings look like now?

Please help me :)

THanks!

There were rankings in USNews in 2002 for the best hospitals that included hospitals for psychiatry. I have not seen any rankings of residency programs. I wouldn't put much stock in the USNews rankings from 2002 since they listed Menninger in the top ten that no longer exists.

Being that psychiatry is a relative easy match and the job market is wide open just about everywhere...I don't think you'll have to worry about "reputation" as much as you think you might. Sure there are poor programs...but there are a lot of high quality ones too. I would probably focus first on location and then narrow down programs from there. If your med school has a psych program, ask some people in the department what they think are some good programs.

You probably will not go wrong with most large academic centers. This will give you plenty of research opportunity and teaching opportunities. For me, being in a large city was important clinically for the indigent patients and substance abuse issues.

I interviewed all over...you can PM me if you have questions about specific programs. Otherwise, I hope this helps.

Hi:

I have heard that Stanford is a good program that doesn't kill its residents...

M-

How competitive is admission into these top psych programs?

Which programs out there have a good amount of emphasis on psychotherapy training for it psych residents?

Do psych programs look at step 1 score at all?

Originally posted by freespirit_md
I'm so confused in my applications.. I'm coming from a top-notch medical school, so i understand that I can probably have just about any program I want in Psychiatry.. Ahh the benefits of Psych :)

So I can't find any rankings anywhere.. and I'm getting a headache. I'm open to location. Want a program that'll give me good clinical exposure, not kill me with work, and will give me a "reputation" hopefully that will help me later in my career.

So then.. what do the rankings look like now?

Please help me :)

THanks!

the psych program director at the hospital affiliated with your medical school should be able to tell you which programs have what you are looking for. have you met with him/her yet?

Any DOs applying for psych residencies? If so, which programs are you considering?

Does anyone know how competitive Texas programs are? I was thinking about UT Southwestern and Baylor in particular. By the way I'm about to enter my 4th year at a UT medical school.

If anyone has experience applying to these programs please let me know.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

i am in the process of trying to pick a med school to attend. i am quite sure that i would like to go into psych. the schools i am considering are the following: UCSF, UMich, and Columbia.
any suggestoins which school would give the best chance in landing a good residency when the time comes.

Originally posted by tekram
i am in the process of trying to pick a med school to attend. i am quite sure that i would like to go into psych. the schools i am considering are the following: UCSF, UMich, and Columbia.
any suggestoins which school would give the best chance in landing a good residency when the time comes.

Between UCSF, UMich, and Columbia...as long as you do well, I'm sure you'll have no problem landing a good psych residency. Psych has remained a relatively easy match anyway...and all three schools you are considering are excellent. Not to mention that all three schools have strong psych residencies...you can't go wrong with any of them.

Go somewhere you like the city and they give you the best finanical aid package. All three are really just fine for psych.

of course, most med students change their idea about future residency field. so don't let that be the determining factors.

go with location and money....

Okay, when I was applying last year, the chair of my school's psych dept (a Yale grad) gave me this list of his top ten psych residencies (in no particular order)
MGH-McLean
Yale
Columbia
UPenn
Pitt
Johns Hopkins
WashU
UCLA
UCSF
Stanford

As far as programs that have strong psychotherapy training, I can only speak for those programs that I interviewed at, but
MGH-McLean
UCSF
UCLA
Columbia
UPenn
all seemed to emphasize that portion of their training.

My final piece of advice, apply to more places than you think you need to, I found that I really liked a couple of places I thought I would hate, and really hated a couple of places I thought I would absolutely love. That information made putting a ROL together much easier. Good luck!

MBK2003 (soon to be PGY-1)

Thewonderer said:
Which programs out there have a good amount of emphasis on psychotherapy training for it psych residents?

Do psych programs look at step 1 score at all?

is step 2 more important than step 1 for psych programs?

Harvard - Cambridge is known for psychotherapy.
I think Brown's program beats out many of the top ten cited based on accessibility/rep/quality of facilities.

doctor4ever said:
Does anyone know how competitive Texas programs are? I was thinking about UT Southwestern and Baylor in particular. By the way I'm about to enter my 4th year at a UT medical school.

If anyone has experience applying to these programs please let me know.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

anyone?