What are some pre-reqs I should take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmula1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an undergraduate looking considering pharmacy school. I have most if not all pre-reqs required by most pharm schools in my area, but I have one more empty spot on my schedule that I can fill up with an oddball pre-req that a school may look for. So what is the most common oddball pre-req that some pharmacy schools might look for? For ex: micro, macro, stats, anatomy, physiology, etc etc. I'm a biochem major, so please don't recomment any chem, basic bio, calc1+2, physics1+2 classes. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Public Speaking or Communications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes public speaking (speech) is a required course at my uni, and I've already taken it. And I've honestly never seen Bioethics as a pre-req required by any pharmacy school, though I'm sure it does look good on the transcript.
Anyway, I'm looking at taking either micro, macro, or stats(which is silly considering I have already done calc1&2), but many pharm schools require stats anyhow. Wondering which is more helpful between macro vs micro as well. Please help people.

I'm taking P-chem this fall. As I mentioned earlier, don't recommend chem or bio classes, since I'm a biochem major. I'm only looking for some of those classes that are pre-reqs for only some pharmacy schools. Examples I included were macro, micro, and stats. I'm now trying to decide which is the most common of these odd ball pre-reqs.

I'm taking P-chem this fall. As I mentioned earlier, don't recommend chem or bio classes, since I'm a biochem major. I'm only looking for some of those classes that are pre-reqs for only some pharmacy schools. Examples I included were macro, micro, and stats. I'm now trying to decide which is the most common of these odd ball pre-reqs.

I'd definitely go with Microecon...although most CA pharm schools would take macroecon too(if u were planning to apply there). If microecon happens to be filled, then stats. :)

I'd definitely go with Microecon...although most CA pharm schools would take macroecon too(if u were planning to apply there). If microecon happens to be filled, then stats. :)

Thank you greenteaflava. Somebody finally seems to understand my question :). I was considering microecon, but do you think it might be too time consuming, considering I'm also taking p-chem, and biochem. Is micro a lot harder than STATS ?

Economics is easy as hell. I thought macro was really interesting. I learned some useful information about the fed and investment, supply and demand, etc. Stats is a pain but it is definitely useful in many ways- especially with research or anything involving epidemiology. Either one wouldn't be difficult but but I think stats might be more time consuming.

Maybe a micro/macro economics combined class (I took one in undergrad that was 4 credit hours and I thought it was interesting), I've seen some pre-req lists for pharmacy schools ask for psychology, and I think most schools do require anatomy & physiology (all the ones I've looked into do).

Yes public speaking (speech) is a required course at my uni, and I've already taken it. And I've honestly never seen Bioethics as a pre-req required by any pharmacy school, though I'm sure it does look good on the transcript.
Anyway, I'm looking at taking either micro, macro, or stats(which is silly considering I have already done calc1&2), but many pharm schools require stats anyhow. Wondering which is more helpful between macro vs micro as well. Please help people.

Economics is easy as hell. I thought macro was really interesting. I learned some useful information about the fed and investment, supply and demand, etc. Stats is a pain but it is definitely useful in many ways- especially with research or anything involving epidemiology. Either one wouldn't be difficult but but I think stats might be more time consuming.

I agree with lea here. Macro econ will give you some perspective on what kind of issues we are facing economically as a nation and what options are available to fix these problems, among other things of course. It was easy but interesting and I highly recommend it to anyone. Macro > Micro IMO

genetics might be an option. idk if you consider that 'basic bio,' but i've definitely seen that as a pre-req at at least 1 or 2 schools. i took biocultural anthropology to fulfill an anthropology requirement, and i liked how biology was mixed into it. perhaps something of that nature. i also agree with macroecon over micro. most schools i've looked at require stats, too.

Thank you greenteaflava. Somebody finally seems to understand my question :). I was considering microecon, but do you think it might be too time consuming, considering I'm also taking p-chem, and biochem. Is micro a lot harder than STATS ?

I would take microeconomics (unless you meant microbiology, then no) if you will be taking PChem and BioChem. I'm taking biochem and pchem (the quantum chemistry part) concurrently and between those two there isn't much time for anything else. I found econ to be easier than stats since less studying time is needed (might be different at your school though).
However, if you are already full-time before the extra class I would recommend doing volunteer work instead. Taking biochem and pchem with more than two other classes might burn you out.

-Sorry guys, I must be mistaken if you are all saying econ is easier than stats. I thought it was the other way around because I once had a roommate who complained about macro/micro being tough. Another time, I was signed up for stats at one point, sat in on a few classes before I dropped it, the sessions I did attend seemed so ridiculously easy. So I put 2 and 2 together to reach the wrong conclusion, my bad.
-I have all my school's graduation pre-reqs like humanities, etc. Thank god :)
-Yes genetics is a requirement as a biochem major, and I'm taking that this semester.
-I know taking p-chem and biochem along with other classes is extreme. I will most likely drop one or the other by the end of the first week of classes.
-Thanks a lot guys! All good answers. So in order of pharm school pre-req popularity, looks like it would be Anatomy>Stats>Macro/Micro ? Seems about right & if you guys have any more to add, feel free :D

Yeah I'd definitely say Anatomy or Micro. Those 2 were required for most of the schools I applied to, so if you end up expanding your list at the last minute, either of those 2 are good choices imo.

Anatomy requires much memorization and therefore time. I categorize it as a "ball-buster" class along with biochem and pchem. I wouldn't take more than two of those classes in a single semester (as I only have the pair-o-balls hehe).