What are some questions you asked at your interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalla22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know its really important to ask questions, but i'm wondering when they say "definitely come prepared with a few questions" what this means..do you ask specific things about curriculum?? or more general? Quite honestly, i have an interview coming up soon and am having trouble coming up with questions...i mean there is a lot of information already on the websites....what do people normally do?

Members don't see this ad.

I know its really important to ask questions, but i'm wondering when they say "definitely come prepared with a few questions" what this means..do you ask specific things about curriculum?? or more general? Quite honestly, i have an interview coming up soon and am having trouble coming up with questions...i mean there is a lot of information already on the websites....what do people normally do?
Ask genuine questions. Also don't ask things easily found on the website or nitty gritty details about things that the interviewer probably has no idea about (curriculum, fin aid).

Ask genuine questions. Also don't ask things easily found on the website or nitty gritty details about things that the interviewer probably has no idea about (curriculum, fin aid).

But what does that mean exactly? What is a genuine question and what is an example of a bad question? I'm sorry, i'm being slow...:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I always found it "fun" to turn some of the typical interview questions back on them. For instance, asking them what they think their schools biggest weakness or greatest strength is... If its a student I ask what they are involved in outside of the classroom. If its a professor I usually ask them to characterize their student body, etc. If its someone who has lived in the city for a long time, I ask them what drew them to X in the first place and what has kept them there so long.

I always found it "fun" to turn some of the typical interview questions back on them. For instance, asking them what they think their schools biggest weakness or greatest strength is... If its a student I ask what they are involved in outside of the classroom. If its a professor I usually ask them to characterize their student body, etc. If its someone who has lived in the city for a long time, I ask them what drew them to X in the first place and what has kept them there so long.

But isn't that too generic? and not specific enough for that particular school??

Most of my questions I generate through my day at a school - remember that people are at a medical school because they want to be there (mostly) and will be enthusiastic about the place. Usually a "What do you like best" or "Why did you end up here" will move conversation.

GL!

But isn't that too generic? and not specific enough for that particular school??

worked fine for me... they start talking about themselves and you can ask more questions based on what they say. Its hard to have set, specific questions ready because you dont know who is going to interview you... and i dont think they are generic if you are sincere in your questions. I often really did want to know why someone would move from Atlanta to rural Temple, TX.. and why on earth they stayed there...

I also had success following my answers with a "what do you think?" question. Like when I'm asked the horrible 'biggest problem in healthcare' question, I ask them their opinion. A lot of interviewers appreciate your interest in their opinions as well... fosters more of a conversation atmosphere and less of an inquisition.

My favorite:

If you could change one thing about ______ Medical School, what would would it be?

You're assured to get some interesting responses.

Go to the interview as though you HAD to matriculate at the school next year. What would you want to know if that were the case? (But do your homework first.)

Yesterday in an interview I asked the interviewer about his career path. I said, "I've never spoken at length with a ______ist, could you tell me a little about your career's trajectory?" Now that came organically from our discussion, and wasn't used as a substitute for questions about the school, but I haven't seen that mentioned before as a question for an interviewer.

You guys should review the interview feedback on SDN for each school that you have an interview at. That will give you an idea as sample questions are included in the reviews.

Also, keep in mind that some interviewers will start with the--- what questions do you have.

Two good questions are: What made you choose to come to XYZ College of Medicine and then what made you stay here? Turn it back on them-- what do you perceive as this school's greatest strength, greatest weakness etc?

in hindsight, I wish I had more specific questions in my interviews. For UWisc, I would have asked, "What do you think are the (dis)advantages of having 16 weeks of away rotations?"

I don't think so, though it really depends on the sincerity in which you deliver. Whenever I've interviewed, I always want as many varied opinions as possible on the particular school. Therefore, I am genuinely interested when I ask my interviewer, "what, in particular, drew you to [Instituion]?

Don't just ask a question for the sake of asking it. If your interviewer isn't a completely self-absorbed ass (I've had a few), they'll sniff it out.

Here's fortune to you in the future.

Id always ask

What are some of this school's secrets that you wouldn't know just by reading the website or its brochures.

Why did you choose to work at this school?

If I hadn't gotten to know the interviewer really well, I'd ask him or her about what he or she does. If they're a doctor, maybe asking them about how practicing their field of medicine in this community is like. etc. etc.
As timmy said, delivery is important.

I like to take the interview period as an opportunity to ask some more personal questions, as others have shown. Questions about curriculum, programs, etc., will usually be answered in the day's presentations or brochures from the school. I like asking what brought my interviewer there (I had to hide my cringe when my Duke interviewer's answer was solely "My husband"). Also, I ask about things like how integrated X program/philosiphy (talked up int he brochure) is actually integral to the curriculum. Heck, it's even nice to ask them what they think of the area.

I also had success following my answers with a "what do you think?" question. Like when I'm asked the horrible 'biggest problem in healthcare' question, I ask them their opinion. A lot of interviewers appreciate your interest in their opinions as well... fosters more of a conversation atmosphere and less of an inquisition.
Richspider is right on this. Even the most hardened and jaded interviewer on some level loves to talk about themselves. It's a recommended technique by most interview guides.

i ask two standard questions.
1.) what is your favorite and least favorite thing about this institution (makes them think a little bit and shows you are asking a thoughtful question, youd be surprised how long they have to think about this).
2.) what do you look for when creating a medical school class (then turn this into a positive by stating how you would fit in to their plan)